User

Default ARMS Waterkloof and my Creedmoor

A few weeks ago, I took my 6.5 Creedmoor for some work at ARMS in Waterkloof. I initially wanted to use another gunsmith, but being the month before hunting season, he had a two month waiting period, and Chris at ARMS asked if they could help (and match the price) when I just wanted a 20MOA rail from them. Their waiting period was 4 - 6 weeks, two weeks quicker than the competition. When I commented on the Creedmoor thread, I had some pm's asking about ARMS's work quality, so here is my personal opinion.

What I asked to be done:
    - Fit ARMS 20MOA Rail
    - Fit my scope (Falcon M18+) using ARMS competition rings and boresight
    - Bed the standard Howa stock
    - Adjust the trigger, polish the sear etc (asked for 1kg)
    - Cut thread and fit ARMS model suppressor
    - Cut 11 degree target crown
    - Fit TAQM Kydex cheek riser.

Exactly three weeks and 1 day I got the call, your rifle is ready. So let me start with the service levels in the shop. I like going there, I'm always made to feel welcome and feel I get decent advice. They even had 6.5 Creedmoor Federal Fusion in stock, so I bought a box on the spot.

In short, this is MY opinion (but if a mod feels this thread is not kosher, please kill it and PM me:

The Bad:
    - The thread on the barrel felt rough. Rougher than a bears arse! Taking off the thread cap and fitting the suppressor felt almost forced, but it aligned perfectly. Eventually I took WD40, sprayed on the threads and screwed it on and off a few times. Feels good now.
    - The kydex cheek riser is fitted so far forward that I can't remove the bolt when it is raised, which was a pain when you fire and clean after each shot during barrel break-in. I wished they would have checked this. Dremel will sort it though.
    - I feel the suppressor doesn't absorb enough recoil, but this could be me, and needs further shooting (it's not like a 6.5 is a 458Lott) and I would like to compare it to a a Sus-Tac etc.

The Good:
    - The boresighting was well done. Hit the spot at 25m first shot. I've seen some bad boresighting in my time at the range, but this was well done.
    - The rings and rail is solid and well made. Except my scope obscures the bubble level built in to the rings...not their fault. It wasn't overly expensive either.
    - Bedding job was well done, very happy there! When my new 3006 stock arrives, I'll get them to bed it as well.
    - Crown cutting and angle is fine,
    - The trigger...oh the trigger...no slack, and breaks crisp and clean...absolutely love it!

..so, final verdict: I am happy with their work in the time frame given, and will use them again, especially for triggers and bedding. I would like to test another suppressor though.

I was shooting S&B 140gn ammo I bought from Camdix (R350 a box), cleaning after every shot for 10 shots, then two 3 round groups and a 4 round group.

These were shots 17, 18, 19 and 20.. Not bad for a new barrel and factory budget ammo, obviously hand loads will tighten it significantly!

User

Default Re: ARMS Waterkloof and my Creedmoor

I was not that lucky ... or happy

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    I was not that lucky ... or happy Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
    Same here. I had good luck on the first occasion. Second time, well, let's just say I won't be going back ..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Same here. I had good luck on the first occasion. Second time, well, let's just say I won't be going back ..
    me nether, not if I kan help it.
    I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face but it will be my last stop

User

I was not that lucky ... or happy

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    me nether, not if I kan help it.
    I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face but it will be my last stop

I had a .300 Win Mag built by them to my specifications. When I first received it there were issues caused by the proofing department of SABS i.e. they marred the finish on the barrel and bumped the crown.

ARMS sorted these issues for me without a second's hesitation. They cut a new crown, refinished the barrel and as a gesture of goodwill jeweled the bolt. The way they attended to my complaints certainly left a good impression on me. The rifle is also a properly accurate shooter.

The only reason I didn't use them for the bedding on my .223 was the fact I moved to the West Rand and Ritchie Gunsmiths is 4KM away VS. 50KM.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    I had a .300 Win Mag built by them to my specifications. When I first received it there were issues caused by the proofing department of SABS i.e. they marred the finish on the barrel and bumped the crown.

ARMS sorted these issues for me without a second's hesitation. They cut a new crown, refinished the barrel and as a gesture of goodwill jeweled the bolt. The way they attended to my complaints certainly left a good impression on me. The rifle is also a properly accurate shooter.

The only reason I didn't use them for the bedding on my .223 was the fact I moved to the West Rand and Ritchie Gunsmiths is 4KM away VS. 50KM.
    Having shot Koebelwagen's 300winmag was also a big plus for me, amazing 300...and the work top notch...

Glad that you had such a good experience and thank you for the feedback.

Also received a mixed bag and will take it up with them after the hunting season.

Pillar bedding and trigger job they did on my Sako rifle was great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Towards the end of last year 2 of there smiths apparently left (i can't confirm) and one of there other smiths ( lets call him G) has his own side line at home... I completely lost my shit with mister G. Maybe here lays the root of some issues.
    I've known Mr. K and Ms. M for many years so my disappointment was great. I must add that they were realy apologetic when I finally had enough, with evidence in hand, and started dealing with them only.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post

The Bad:
    - The thread on the barrel felt rough. Rougher than a bears arse! Taking off the thread cap and fitting the suppressor felt almost forced, but it aligned perfectly. Eventually I took WD40, sprayed on the threads and screwed it on and off a few times. Feels good now.
    The thing with a thread is, it sometimes comes out that way, due to various factors. If you cut it again to smooth it, it will be loose. Then you shorten the barrel and re-cut it...

- The kydex cheek riser is fitted so far forward that I can't remove the bolt when it is raised, which was a pain when you fire and clean after each shot during barrel break-in. I wished they would have checked this. Dremel will sort it though.
    That is quite normal with high scope mounts. The cheek riser is removable and can be lowered or shortened. Easy job, but it depends on the way you hold the rifle. I would not cut it, as I tend to creep up on the stock.

- I feel the suppressor doesn't absorb enough recoil, but this could be me, and needs further shooting (it's not like a 6.5 is a 458Lott) and I would like to compare it to a a Sus-Tac etc.
    To make a supressor "absorb" more recoil, you iether make it heavier, or you add an external brake such as can be had from Sustac and others. It will likely be possible to add such a brake to your supressor too. Not much of an issue on a 6,5mm.

User

All valid comments A-R :)