Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default GunSite Forum Maintenance - 28th April 2018

Hi All,

We'll be doing some much needed maintenance of the forum overnight on Sat, 28th April. The site is likely to be down for a few hours, but will return (hopefully), with a new look and feel about it.

This is a version update of the same software we are on, so while things will be similar, some things will work differently or be in different places. We might even be missing a few things that we have come to enjoy about the existing site, but where possible, we will try get to a best of both worlds situation.

Most notably, the site will now have responsive design, so there will be one version of the site on all devices. We are also hoping to make picture hosting and posting a lot easier, which hasn't been ideal lately.

Please use this thread to make positive notes of things you like and dislike about the new site. We'll try fix what we can and make it better for all.

• First thing I've noticed is that 'New Posts' doesn't exist in the same way and it's not as user friendly to access in mobile, so I'm already working on that.

Take care and have a good weekend.

Craig and Frank
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Default Re: GunSite Forum Maintenance - 28th April 2018

Great stuff

Anyway to enhance the search function? It seems to work better from Google itself, than from within the site ...

Look forward to the new updates!

Thanks

User

Good luck guys

User

The only plea I have, please don't go overboard with themes. It can ruin an otherwise pleasant visit to the site. Keep it simple with regards to themes please!

Quote Originally Posted by HitMan_ View Post
    Great stuff

Anyway to enhance the search function? It seems to work better from Google itself, than from within the site ...

Look forward to the new updates!

Thanks
    There is a new search function, not Google and we won't add in a Google one just yet. Let's see how it goes, but please post back with feedback in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Good luck guys
    Thanks. Always interesting having to delete everything and then trying to put it back together

Quote Originally Posted by MyWereld View Post
    The only plea I have, please don't go overboard with themes. It can ruin an otherwise pleasant visit to the site. Keep it simple with regards to themes please!
    The idea and plan is to simplify things. This site, is fairly heavily customised, which presents a number of problems. We want to, where possible, stick with the original code.

Clean, clear and simple is what we are after.

Let us know your thoughts though
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Thanks Craig

Appreciated

I want the ability to set users’ computers on fire remotely, please?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Better search functionality (search results are not specific enough, which results in hundreds of threads to check through after running a search). Perhaps also a search function which highlights the specific word/phrase which was searched.

When members join, perhaps their location (city) needs to be a field which is required. This way there are then not hundreds of enquiries about where the person is located (especially with the “for sale” and “PIF” threads etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll start, before I get the 'I told you so'...

We needed to upgrade, we still do at some point, but besides the few niggles with the looks and feel of it, we had backend issues which were causing other problems.

So, net result, we lost nearly a week of forum activity, but learned a whole lot about what we need to consider when moving from this software version.

Like in the previous thread, can we please get a list of what's not working and how we can make this better, now that we have had something to compare it against.

Thanks and sorry,
    Craig
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Interesting couple of days... and a bit of a learning curve.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast