User

Default Barrel threading

Hope I'm posting this to the right spot...

So, I've tried and I can't do it. I simply can't bring myself to do the 'no iron sights' thing. It just looks wrong. That in mind, I was wondering what the downfalls are when threading a barrel that you intend to keep iron sights on? I need a suppressor for various reasons, but I'm not the biggest fan as a general rule. I'll only be using said suppressor from prone and on the odd occasion when shooting in camps, on agricultural land and around homesteads (baboons and vervets). At all other times, I want the ugly thing off my barrel.

Also, really don't want to go through the ball ache of getting another rifle as it's a mission (as well all know).
    Any serious shortcomings I should be aware of? Do any of you gents/ladies do it??

User

Default Re: Barrel threading

Southpaw I still have my iron sights on my Husqy with no issues. Luckily there was sufficient barrel in front of the front sight for threading.
    Not sure if you intend to shoot it with out a scope as the supressor will probebly obscure and render the iron sights non functional.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

User

A good gunsmith can remove the front sight and reinstall the sight after threading the barrel. The only thing to keep in mind then is a slightly shorter sight radius which, in theory, would slightly later your range markings on the rear sight (if it has markings). Though, the difference would be negligable. Another thing to keep in mind is impact shift. I would spend a bit more on a decent suppressor which is smaller and complements the gun a bit better and then always shoot with it, thereby mitigating the impact shift issue.

User

Thanks JD,

I will be using a scope for most of my shooting, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Do you ever take your suppressor off and put a thread protector on? I have no issue with using scopes, just don't like getting rid of the iron sights. It's a ridiculous "what if" worry of mine. I also don't like using scopes in thick bush, can't track as well. For this reason, I don't want to limit my options for future use.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Thanks JD,

I will be using a scope for most of my shooting, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Do you ever take your suppressor off and put a thread protector on? I have no issue with using scopes, just don't like getting rid of the iron sights. It's a ridiculous "what if" worry of mine. I also don't like using scopes in thick bush, can't track as well. For this reason, I don't want to limit my options for future use.
    I understand your "what if" completely as that was the main reason I left them on. As Sa Shooter said, your POI would probebly shift with the suppressor so I always shoot with it on. I always take it off and clean after shooting and put the thread cap back as I don't whant the supressor to heat seized to the barrel over time or any rust collecting there. I also make sure to clean the barrel crown properly as no to accumulate carbon that could screw up your accuracy in extreme cases
    To me the firearm is a tool first and must be functioning optimal for my purpose. Yes looks are important to me to but a rifle actually looks quite slick without all the old iron sights plus there is less that can hook or snag on something .... but to each his own

User

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Thanks JD,

You do not specify what rifle you have exactly, so there will be some assumptions in my relpy.

Is your scope attached with QD mounts?
    If not, how do you envisage using your iron sights?
    If yes, how is your cheek weld on the comb of the stock? The thing is, to be able to shoot a rifle at it's (and your) best potential, requires a proper cheek weld to the stock. This is only possible for 1 sight hight, unless you have an adjustable comb on the stock.

Some front sights can be moved back on the barrel by a competent gunsmith. If the sight is attached by a screw or 2, this is fairly easy. If it is soldered on to the barrel, things are getting complicated and expensive. The cost of moving it will likely include a reblueing job. Sometimes the forward end of the sight can be cut back enough to allow a proper thread to be cut. It all depends on how and where the sight was attached originally.

Depending on the diameter of the supressor, it may or may not obscure your line of sight through the open sights. Check this out.

Your POI will usually be different with the supressor and without. Will you re-zero every time you mount and unscrew the supressor? Probably not. Time to decide what mode you are going to use the rifle in and stick to that.

At your age you should still be perfectly capable of shooting well with open sights. That is a luxury I have not been able to enjoy for about 10 years now. So to me the open sights are pretty useless appendages, except for really close-range shots. This makes my choices much easier. Consider this in your long-term planning.

The point of impact will differ between with or without silencer. I would strongly recommend shooting your rifle always in the same configuration. You can afterwards take the silencer off for storage and refit it again without any POI changes. If you want to keep iron sights for "what if", and I don't know what if, I would sight my gun in with iron sights without the silencer and scoped with silencer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk