Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In my opinion and experience from sparring this a bit, this technique would not be my initial go to tactic in close quarter situations, willingly limiting my response to a (possible) single shot. As we all know "stopping power" from a single, even sometimes multiple, handgun shot is debatable.

I regard shooting from this position as a desperate last resort tactic if I am not able to free my handgun from the hands of an assailant and revert to proven retention shooting tactics.

This does work well however to make it more difficult for the assailant to wrestle the gun from your hands or pointing it towards you. Hitting with the elbows in this manner does largely prevent you sweeping yourself. Although using the elbows in this manner works quite well in getting the gun loose from the assailants grip, it is not that easy, although possible with a little tweaking, to land elbow shots.

Personally, in an entangled clinch, I would prefer using the known retention shooting tactics and positions (which allow multiple shots), possibly using this technique to initially free the gun. If I can't free my gun and stand risk of having it taken, as a last resort I might try firing from this position.

From ground bottom, this tactic again works well to prevent getting muzzle pointing at you, but striking and freeing much more difficult, especially if you don't have some form of ground experience and don't know how to move and use your hips.

I know other forum members are also experimenting, and would like to hear their opinions!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Default Re: CQC Weapon Retention Tactic

Hey 47

We experimented with it this weekend. (3 of us)

(Context: I do not have much grappling experience or training other than the combatives which we do at Sas)

My observations:

Getting both hands onto the gun slide gets one immense leverage. (One hand on the grip, the other towards the front of the slide, both hands over the same part of the gun not so much)

If an attacker has a hand on the gun and you can get both hands onto it, lower and roll yourself/shoulder onto the gun, turn your body and rip away.

It is very difficult for the attacker to keep hold of the gun. (Use your weight and leverage to rip away)

As for using ones elbows to strike with. Yes, I think it does help, however the 3 participants all seemed to want to get control of the gun quickly and used the two hands and rip away, using weight and leverage.

In the video it seems that they focus on using the elbows to strike with to create space and cause the attacker to leave the gun.

Perhaps I am sticking my neck out, but on Saturday using the method I described seemed to work very well and seems quicker than using elbows.

EDIT:
    The take away for me from the original video is getting both hands on the pistol. one on the pistol grip the other as far forward as possible.
    Last edited by camouflage762; 14-05-2018 at 12:04.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Default Re: CQC Weapon Retention Tactic

Thanks for sharing your experiences Camo.

Correlates very well with what we found in FoF.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2