User

Default MechTech 9mmP Glock Carbine Conversion Unit

Hi All,

I am not too sure about how many of you have seen the details of the MechTech 9mmP Glock Carbine Conversion Unit (which is apparently made in Montana, USA). Check out the following link for more details:

Anyway, I have a couple of questions as follows:--

1) would it be necessary for us to licence this "chassis" in SA since in the USA it is apparently seen as an "accessory" (and doesn't need to be licensed there)?

2) would anybody happen to know if these are available here in SA and, if so, from which gunshop/importer (and the approx. price point)?

3) any idea whether they are model and generation-specific for the Glock (or would they, for instance, be able to fit a Gen 4 G17 & a G19 in the same chassis)?

Any (informed) comments and input would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

User

Default Re: MechTech 9mmP Glock Carbine Conversion Unit

Has a barrel needs to be licensed.

In the US the frame is the firearm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Thanks T... damn. It looks like a sweeeeet little "accessory".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    Hi All,

I am not too sure about how many of you have seen the details of the MechTech 9mmP Glock Carbine Conversion Unit (which is apparently made in Montana, USA). Check out the following link for more details:

Anyway, I have a couple of questions as follows:--

1) would it be necessary for us to licence this "chassis" in SA since in the USA it is apparently seen as an "accessory" (and doesn't need to be licensed there)?

2) would anybody happen to know if these are available here in SA and, if so, from which gunshop/importer (and the approx. price point)?

3) any idea whether they are model and generation-specific for the Glock (or would they, for instance, be able to fit a Gen 4 G17 & a G19 in the same chassis)?

Any (informed) comments and input would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Any input/thoughts on Points 2 and 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post

That basically kills the concept for us. If you have to go there, a proper Pistol Calibre Carbine would be the better choice.

In the US, you buy it over the counter and plug it in. There, a conversion kit like a RONI would be illegal. Here we have the opposite, we buy the RONI over the counter...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    That basically kills the concept for us.

In the US, you buy it over the counter and plug it in. There, a conversion kit like a RONI would be illegal. Here we have the opposite, we buy the RONI over the counter...
    Not necessarily.. Shooters in SA do own AR uppers, each licensed - with only one lower to swop between? Same concept, though not a huge market I admit...

Again, not 'illegal' per sé, however fitting your pistol to a RONI (in the States) makes it a 'Short Barreled Rifle', and an American citizen would need to register it first with the ATFE, pay/procure the relevant tax stamp - and you will be good to go.

User

Here is a link to another (much shorter) video on the MechTech Carbine Conversion Unit:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
    Not necessarily.. Shooters in SA do own AR uppers, each licensed - with only one lower to swop between? Same concept, though not a huge market I admit...

Again, not 'illegal' per sé, however fitting your pistol to a RONI (in the States) makes it a 'Short Barreled Rifle', and an American citizen would need to register it first with the ATFE, pay/procure the relevant tax stamp - and you will be good to go.
    Thats why they do the Roni with the "wrist brace" which ATF will currently let you shoulder.

Problem with licensing uppers here is that you may as well license the whole gun, otherwise one gun goes down and you lose two or three.