Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
It has been very long time since hunting put meat in the freezer at a cheaper prize than buying it from a butcher. If cheap meat is your motivation for hunting you are going to be very disappointed. Hunting, exactly like fishing, these days are about the experience more than filling the freezer cheaply.

Do I think this is fair? Hell no! But it is what it is, and it is not going to get cheaper. Hunting is part of my job and I get a yearly quota of game as part of my package. So, for me venison is a cheap source of protein but I am very much the exception. I certainly would not be able to do a lot of hunting otherwise and, as with everything, there are other sacrifices made in living this life.

Running a game farm/game reserve is expensive and hunting, even at seemingly expensive prices, seldom bring in enough revenue to cover the running cost, let alone make a profit. Some of the best hunting deals are not on dedicated game ranches but on stock farms that have game, either as a sideline or just because the game are there anyway. Unfortunately, a lot of these places do not advertise.
My whole issue is with the inflated animal prices. I dont mind paying a day fee and pay for extra wood if needed or to tip the guys who helped with the loafing and skinning.

So when I mention filling the freezer cheaply I am only taking the animal price in consideration.

The rest can be seen as a weekend away from our stressful daily lives and spending quality time with family.

But yeah I am definitely disappointed not going to lie there