Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Combat High – A Brief But Sobering History of Drug Use in Wartime

Makes one wonder if it was really malaria pills the guys who did "border" duty were made to swallow regularly!

Tongue firmly in cheek.

User

StanCT - the SWAPO/PLAN guys used the morphine from their medic packs when things got rough. We used to find the phials, actually small toothpaste-like tubes with integral needles similar to Sosegon, when we got close on a chase and they needed the extra vooma to keep going. We always knew that contact was getting close when we found them because as the effects wore of they would have had a big downer and would try an ambush.

User

Ds, I never experienced use of dagga probably because of non-availability but had a few medics abusing the locally produced morphine derivative, Sosegon, which was in the section medic packs.

User

To add something to the original history, it is well documented that the Paras (both Brit and US) were given big white pills (uppers) on WW2 D-Day to enable them to go keep going for the supposed 24 hour window that they had to survive before the ground troops caught up with them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    StanCT - the SWAPO/PLAN guys used the morphine from their medic packs when things got rough. We used to find the phials, actually small toothpaste-like tubes with integral needles similar to Sosegon, when we got close on a chase and they needed the extra vooma to keep going. We always knew that contact was getting close when we found them because as the effects wore of they would have had a big downer and would try an ambush.
    That is very interesting. I find these types of stories fascinating, thanks for sharing.

Ds, I never experienced use of dagga probably because of non-availability but had a few medics abusing the locally produced morphine derivative, Sosegon, which was in the section medic packs.
    Chris Cocks in his book "Fireforce" tells of use morphine use and subsequent addiction during the Rhodesian war.

Alcohol was also seriously abused.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post
    Chris Cocks in his book "Fireforce" tells of use morphine use and subsequent addiction during the Rhodesian war.
    I've read the book. It was fortunate that he had the mental fortitude to get out of that cycle.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

On a lighter note, the chaps from Natal were considered users of dagga by default.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    On a lighter note, the chaps from Natal were considered users of dagga by default.

User

In our grouping of guys that did a stint in Owamboland there were three wellknown users of the green stuff. We never had any disciplinary issues with these guys and they were known for being able to perform near Herculean feats of physical labour after having a few puffs (digging latrine holes and so forth). We could never figure out how they got hold of the stuff untill we realised the one chap was getting boxes of tea in his regular parcels from home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast