Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
    Thanks again guys,

I will give the 14 and 16inch setups a try and feel what's most comfortable.
    And definitely look into the Geiselle triggers(or comparable)
    Good to know that these guns are liked, at their price tag I only want to buy once!

M43 - I am looking at the M4/M5 FL version so should be similar to yours but with pop up sights.

Hopefully will own one in the next week's and will post here for all to see :D
    Iron sights are losing popularity, if they are going to cost extra rather leave them out.

User

Default Re: Schmeisser vs Oberland arms 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    Subscribe... and some eye candy
    Very good looking rifle Sir!
    Is that the 16inch barrel? M5FL?
    Will need to exchange load data/experiences in a few months once I start loading for her :)

@Captain, the pop up sights come standard on the rifle. Hovever the package I am trying to get comes with a Falke LE reflex sight, which from what I've read is a pretty decent entry optic?!

User

Of the 3 brands we have only seen the Schmeisser here in SA so I do not think anyone in SA can give you an objective and experienced comparison opinion.

The Oberlands I could check out a couple of years ago at IWA looked good to me. At the time I liked them more than the Schmeissers based on what I saw.

We had no issues with any of the Schmeissers we imported and sold here in SA as far as I can remember. The match Schmeisser I had was superbly accurate - I got around a 7.5mm group at 100m with match ammo. More patient shooters would probably squeeze more out of it.
    Last edited by DS; 17-05-2018 at 09:09.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
    Very good looking rifle Sir!
    Is that the 16inch barrel? M5FL?
    Thank you. Mine the M5F with the 16,75" barrel. That was new, now she looks a bit different :)

Bought a aftermarket trigger, but have not installed it yet. Currently happy with the factory trigger.

User

Talking Re: Schmeisser vs Oberland arms 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Of the 3 brands we have only seen the Schmeisser here in SA so I do not think anyone in SA can give you an objective and experienced comparison opinion.

The Oberlands I could check out a couple of years ago at IWA looked good to me. At the time I liked them more than the Schmeissers based on what I saw.

We had no issues with any of the Schmeissers we imported and sold here in SA as far as I can remember. The match Schmeisser I had was superbly accurate - I got around a 7.5mm group at 100m with match ammo. More patient shooters would probably squeeze more out of it.
    Hi Khumba,

Thanks for your input. I agree with your first statement. I do however appreciate the comments from members who have owned Schmeisser rifles as well.

From German/Austrian forums it seems that the two (OA & Schmeisser) are very similarly matched, although I am only able to purchase the OA blacklabel range which includes cheap furniture to purposely keep the price down.

Between the receiver build quality I'm sure the difference is miniscule and barrels are both Lothar Walther.

My options are
    OA blacklabel - 2000€ cheap furniture, no optics
    Or schmeisser - 2500€ better furniture, fairly decent optics included.

As I said previously, I need to fondle them both before deciding :D

User

Hey guys,

So back to the discussion table..

As previously said I was rather keen on getting a shorter AR +- 14.5inch barrel, and then had initially settled on the Schmeisser M4FL.

After speaking to the local gun shop (here in Linz, Austria) they advised me to buy a gun for which style of shooting I am mostly going to be doing.
    outdoor ranges are far and few between here and therefore majority of shooting will be indoor, prone, target. +-100m hence advised me on the Oberland M1 20" or the Schmeisser Ultramatch 20" - both come with the same fluted stainless steel bull barrel and are almost the same price.

after doing much reading on the german forums, particularly the main Austrian gun page, their feeling is to buy as cheap as possible e.g. Oberland arms basic m4 because mods are inevitable and can use the saved cash for mods..

2 'negatives' which they advise against Schmeisser:
    - the barrel is pinned to the upper in the austrian model so is harder to replace
    - schmeisser uppers dont fit into other lowers.

however, in my mind these arent really an issue as for my frequency of shooting, I dont think I will burn the barrel any time soon(especially shooting prone) and then can spend a bit of time/cash to replace the barrel if need be - an option to get a shorter barreled upper could be in future as well
    and secondly I have emailed Schmeisser direct and they ensure their uppers are interchangeable with other brands lowers.

have any of you with Schmeissers tried to attach another lower with success?

thanks for any comments

1.jpg
    2.jpg

User

I have never had the inclination to swap uppers and lowers between my gun and someone else's, but as far as I know the Schmeissers are basically built to very exacting tolerances / blueprints. If something wont swap out with Schmeisser parts the something else is probably out of spec.

H&K as a reputation for building (and redesigning) stuff that is not compatible with other stuff. (H&K 416 and every mag they ever made). I think your dealer was referring to H&K.

Colts seem to interchange with Colts, but of the others I have tried some do some dont, mostly dont.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Colts seem to interchange with Colts, but of the others I have tried some do some dont, mostly dont.
    Any uppers and lowers from manufacturers who claim to be running on Mil-Spec receivers should fit each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Any uppers and lowers from manufacturers who claim to be running on Mil-Spec receivers should fit each other.
    About that claim part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast