User

Default First successful hunt

I had the privilege of going hunting this past weekend, not my first attempt, but my first one with success(in a manner of speaking). Hence I want to share the experiences and thoughts of a novice hunter in relation to a discussion on this forum about shot groupings.

From my perspective shot groupings when sighting in a rifle does have merit. One needs to know where the first shot will go when the rifle is still cold and in case that one did not go as planned one needs to know where the second and third shot will go.

A good shot grouping on paper is one thing, repeating that in the field at unknown (relatively speaking) distance is another. The further the quarry is the more important grouping at that distance is in case a follow-up shot is needed. A good grouping however does not negate the need to make sure of your first shot. It is also not worth much if you can group one moa and forget all the discipline that goes into pulling a trigger when your quarry is in sight.

I am happy to report that both quarry went down on the first shot where they stood.

Banned

Default Re: First successful hunt

Photos please.

User

Default Re: First successful hunt

Congratulations! I hope this is the first of many more.

Sportster