User

Default Taking a tumble and why I like Leupold scopes.

Yesterday, while stalking gemsbok with a client, I took a tumble on some rocks. Both me and my rifle, an old Howa .300 win mag, came away relatively unscathed. The scope, a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40, broke our fall. There was some cosmetic damage to the scope and the elevation dial cap could not be unscrewed.

A few hours later I shot a wounded kudu with the rifle, it was a long, offhand shot at a moving animal and the shot killed it but was not exactly where I intended it to go. As it was the kind of shot that involved a good measure of luck anyway, I did not know whether the scope was still zero'd or not. Last night I managed to remove the elevation cap with the help of a Leatherman and this afternoon I fired three shots at 200, 300 and 400 meters off a bench. All shots went where they were supposed to. Hats off to what is pretty much an entry level scope.

User

Default Re: Taking a tumble and why I like Leupold scopes.

That's definitely what you want out of a piece of equipment - reliability under harsh circumstances.

User

I had a similar experience. I had my rifle with Vari-x 3 6,5-20x40 slung over my back when I came of my dirt bike. The rifle landed mostly on top of me, but the scope got a big scratch. On testing, it had shifted about 1MOA. Still going strong today.

User

These days people have high praise for brands because of their performance for long range shooting, but the scopes goes faulty while shooting on a range.
    With excellent replacement warranties, but what does that count for in the hunting field?

I have no time for such nonsense, I would rather put my faith in something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    These days people have high praise for brands because of their performance for long range shooting, but the scopes goes faulty while shooting on a range.
    With excellent replacement warranties, but what does that count for in the hunting field?

I have no time for such nonsense, I would rather put my faith in something like this.
    That is awesome Tstone. Glad the scope still works.

Friend has a vortex on his rifle which he rested gainst the bakkie wheel. The rifle fell over when the animal was loaded. The fall broke the crosshairs in the scope. Vortex was happy to replace the scope but that ended the shooting for him.

Not a Leupold. But similar story.
    Ive had a Lynx 6-24x42 on my 308 since late 90's. Fell backwards on it on hunting field while going down small hill.
    Bent the Sunshade and front paralax. Some scratches on turret caps. Still worked fine although oval shape front.
    Got back home. Handed in by dealer in CPT. About 2 weeks later received it back from Lynx SA.
    Looked brand new and I only paid just over R400 for parts and work.
    So bought the Lx3 6-30x56 without blinking in last year. This scope is crystal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post

Friend has a vortex on his rifle which he rested gainst the bakkie wheel. The rifle fell over when the animal was loaded. The fall broke the crosshairs in the scope. Vortex was happy to replace the scope but that ended the shooting for him.
    My brother had 2 bad Vipers(vortex).

I don't care how good their service or warranty is, I don't want that brand near me.

On a side note, seeing how the world is going, I see tough scopes being a thing of the past in the near future.
    People will migrate away from the tried and tested, and fall for sales pitch, gone will be the days of making things that last.
    Also as people do more paper hunting and less actual hunting, use more smaller calibers than actual hunting rifles, the market need for something robust just won't be there.

User

Good to see they are as tough as the company claims.

Banned

I have had many Leupold scopes over the years and all were durable. However, s*it happens and accidents can make any scope fail. I lost (yes, I said lost) my rifle during a lightning storm in a dry swamp. I placed it in the folds of a cypress tree while I got on my rain gear while looking for a safe place. Afterwards, I couldn't find the tree where I had placed my gun due to 3000 other cypress tress that looked the same.Three years later in a casual conversation another swamp rat told me he found a rifle submerged in 2 feet of water in the same swamp. He gave the ruined rifle back to me minus the Leupold scope since he had sent it back for a free replacement. I have had Leupold replace 3 other scopes that were rendered damaged by other incidents. There were never any qualms, questions, or accusations on Leupold's part, just a quick free replacement.