Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Incorrect calibres: Has anyone corrected details lately?

According to information I have from a usually reliable source, one can now correct calibre errors on one's licence by submitting (via email) the SAPS521g along with a gunsmith's report. It was specifically stated that one should NOT go through the DFO and should instead deal with CFR directly.

This is connected with the CFR's attempts to consolidate the calibre codes as listed in this thread: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...r-list-08-2017.

CFR is apparently blocking applications & renewals if the calibre designation doesn't match what appears on the above list.

My question: Has anybody actually gone through the process of bypassing the DFO & dealing direct with CFR in this respect?

Default Re: Incorrect calibres: Has anyone corrected details lately?

Yes. Many times recently as I "corrected" the calibres, and a few serial numbers and makes, before renewing the licences for some of my collection. It is very quick and easy.

1. Get a gunsmith's letter stating only the correct details, not the ones to be changed.

2. Complete a SAPS 521g for the firearm.

3. Email these to EFRSDataPurification@saps.gov.za with the title SAPS 521g "make" "serial number" with a polite request to process the application.

If you send it today then Lt Col Wepener or Capt Hoffmann will normally reply tomorrow.

You must send a separate email for each firearm if you want to do more than one.

A small part of CFR that actually moves fast!

Peter

It took months for me to sort out my 7 mm rem mag hunting rifle. Apparently the designation did not appear / was
    problematic for some reason or other. This started at my DFO to whom I submitted a gunsmiths report. Then the application
    got stuck at the Provincial DFO and then the CFR had a problem. To this day I dont know what the exact problem was. Fortunately, as
    always, my local DFO helped me through the process.
    I was also told in no uncertain terms not to contact my Provincial DFO or the CFR but to work strictly through my DFO.
    My own assumption was that the rifle was originally registered as a "7 mm" and not 7 mm rem mag which caused the problem. This happened
    about 18 months ago.

Things have changed since then, in this case for the better.

Adding a make or calibre to their system is also quick and easy. All you have to do is to provide then with some sort of documentary evidence of the existent of the make or calibre.

I photographed a couple of old Kynock ammo boxes to add a calibre and scanned a page from a book to add a make.

Use the same email address as for the 521g.

Peter

User

Glad I saw this thread now! I have 2 that needs correcting.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

This is excellent news! Now I can correct my "9 mm kort pistol" FN Browning to 9 mm P, and my "Purdey" 12 gauge shotgun to a William Evans (boy, do I wish it rather was a Purdey...)

User

Thanks for the info High Power.

From your description I gather there is no cost involved?

The next question that arises from this is: Does a new licence card automatically get issued once the correction has been made or do you have to apply for a reprint (via your DFO) that now hopefully shows the correct information?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Thanks for the info High Power.

From your description I gather there is no cost involved?

The next question that arises from this is: Does a new licence card automatically get issued once the correction has been made or do you have to apply for a reprint (via your DFO) that now hopefully shows the correct information?

Thanks again
    Cost? Only if that is for the gunsmith's report. Otherwise just an exchange of emails.

I had a new licence where CFR had ignored the gunsmith's report that I submitted with the SAPS 271. I went the 521g route and requested them to apply for a reprint, which they did. However, in talking to Capt Hoffmann it is clear that this does not happen normally. I put it to him that if I "corrected" licences that are not due for renewal for several years I would sit with licences that did not agree with the system. His response was to not both to correct at this stage. I think that you only hit a problem when you apply to renew or sell the gun. The new owner will have to get you to correct the calibre before he can apply for his licence.

Peter

User

Hi Guys

Just an update on this. I sent documents through as mentioned in this thread. Lt Col Wepener replied that the documents would not be processed and has to be sent through local DFO's.

User

I did this via the DFO & the 521g route.......

I had to pay R70 when submitting the 521g. I had to hand in my "incorrect" licence card when doing so. The info was updated on the system when I checked 2-3 months later but nobody at DFO or CFR could tell me anything about the reprint of the card. I ended up dealing with the DFO's assistant when the DFO was on leave and she told me I had to order a reprint as they do not automatically do a reprint when correcting info via a 521g as correction of info & reprinting a card are 2 separate processes. I didn't believe it but went ahead in desperation. A few more months passed by and still nothing. DFO emailed someone at CFR (CC'd me), who responded next day but it died out and I couldn't get a response when I tried again after 2 months. Still nobody could tell me anything, they are unable to track reprinting of licences. Eventually got GOSA involved and CFR came back and said it had been printed a few weeks previously. Took about 1 week short of a year from handing in the 521g to getting the new card.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast