Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: Incorrect calibres: Has anyone corrected details lately?

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    My story is as follows:
    Bought M1910 Mannlicher-Schoenauer from someone. Went to hand in the license application - got sent back because "Preferences exist for this caliber". Which was that the rifle was registered on the system as 9.5mm instead of 9.5 X 57. Was told to get the owner to take it gunsmith and get a report.
    This was done and went back to DFO - refused to help me saying only the owner should do it.
    Owner went to his DFO and they said I must submit the 521g with my 271. My DFO refused yet again ignoring me further when I asked what I must do.
    Sent email with all the information to the Lt Col mentioned earlier in this section. He replied that firstly that I cannot submit to him, must come from DFO, secondly that he was not sure of the caliber description, as Cartridges of the World specified it as 9.5 x 57 Mannlicher-Schoenauer and not just 9.5x57 (The report had the manufacturer also on it). Was told then to updated gunsmith report, update 521g and submit at DFO... can I say back to square one.

Free advise is not always good advise, I know... But can someone please tell me what the heck one could do as apparently there are no fixed procedures and the rules are made up as they go, meaning you are at the mercy at the incompetence or ignorance of your local DFO.
    Remember that blinding incompetence I referred to in my post above?

Well Lt Col Wepener is a prime example.

He has single-handedly fucked the entire system up beyond imagining.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    You could either get it from your DFO or download from this page: https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fla...s/formseng.php

If you speak to 10 people you will get 10 different answers. My opinion is that submitting it now will make the situation too complicated for the typical CFR employee so I would wait until the (incorrect) licence comes back and then correct it. They will struggle to interrupt the licencing process to deviate to a correction of information process. I would let them deal with only 1 process at a time. If you can hold of somebody at CFR with a bit of rank, authority & understanding who is willing to take on the responsibility of ensuring that it all happens correctly, you will be able to get it all done at the same time but unfortunately those people are few & far between. You might also get lucky and have the licence come back with the correct information on it. How difficult it will be to fix the situation also depends on how far through the process it has already gone.

Depends on the gunshop. They might see that it's an obvious mistake but let you take the gun anyway or they might not let you take it. They also might not spot the mistake. One could argue that it is the responsibility of the gunshop (as the seller) to ensure that the information is correct as information such as this was often incorrectly captured on the system when the gun was sold to it's first owner and the gunshop should ensure that it is correct on the system before selling the gun on to the new owner.

If it was me, I would start by speaking to my DFO. He might be able to sort it out or have a contact person at CFR that can resolve the situation. That person will hopefully have rank, authority & understanding referred to above.

Do you have a copy of your SAPS271 to see what was filled in there and/or can you get a copy of the previous owner's licence (gunshop should have a copy, or there should be something on the CFR system) to see where the error comes from?
    Thank you BBCT. I did speak to my DFO first and he said we have to wait for the card to be printed ad only then can we rectify the mistake. He is not the most helpful or friendly oke and is actually quite a lazy guy. I already have the gunshop report as well as photos of the firearm with serial number and 9mmP stamp in the same picture.
    Was hoping to sort this out before i got the card so that its done but seeing as its Africa i suppise i'll just have to hurry up and wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    Yes. Many times recently as I "corrected" the calibres, and a few serial numbers and makes, before renewing the licences for some of my collection. It is very quick and easy.

1. Get a gunsmith's letter stating only the correct details, not the ones to be changed.

2. Complete a SAPS 521g for the firearm.

3. Email these to EFRSDataPurification@saps.gov.za with the title SAPS 521g "make" "serial number" with a polite request to process the application.

If you send it today then Lt Col Wepener or Capt Hoffmann will normally reply tomorrow.

You must send a separate email for each firearm if you want to do more than one.

A small part of CFR that actually moves fast!

Peter
    Has anyone had any success doing the SAPS 521(G) change of information via email recently?

Bought an AR-15 recently from a guy. Gun was never licensed.

I moved the FA to my local gunshop and paid for 6 months storage.

When I tried to do the license app yesterday the DFO informed me that the description of the FA on the CFR system is manual rifle instead of SLR. She insists that a SAPS 521(G) must be completed and submitted with a gunsmith report through the normal process, and that the correction must be done prior to my license app.

Gents at my local gunshop claims that after covid & amnesty etc. the process takes anything from 6 months to indefinitely, with no way to even follow up. They have had a few customers that have waited for over a year.

So I'm basically stuck with a rifle that I won't be able to even start licensing until 6 months later (if I'm lucky), and CFR approval & card printing will take another 12 months if everything goes smoothly..

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

User

I hate to break it to you - but that appears to be the norm. I have had a rifle at Classic arms that took 12 months to correct the details. Second one I bought at auction just now also has wrong details on the SAPS systems, so yay - here goes another 12 months.

I have "corrections" to calibres outstanding from the begining of last year, if that helps!

Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3