Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 50 Round Practise Questions

The drills you are listing are a waste if you are only shooting the limited amounts you speak of.

Listen to SSP and shoot groups. You can start the from the holster if you want but the ability to place your shots where they need to be is paramount.

Once you’ve got the hang of that , then the Test Half Test , Super Test is a great combo and will show you exactly where you lie skill wise.

Dry fire

Seek out competent training and you can short cut the learning curve somewhat

User

Two words

DOT TORTURE! :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The drills you are listing are a waste if you are only shooting the limited amounts you speak of.

Listen to SSP and shoot groups. You can start the from the holster if you want but the ability to place your shots where they need to be is paramount.

Once you’ve got the hang of that , then the Test Half Test , Super Test is a great combo and will show you exactly where you lie skill wise.

Dry fire

Seek out competent training and you can short cut the learning curve somewhat
    And this ^^

User

How much are range fees at the range you using? Wouldn’t it be more economical to go every 2nd week and use range fees you would have used towards ammo?

Dot torture or 2in dots at 5M is a lot harder than most people think

User

I'm not a big fan of doing lot's of different drills per training session.

For example my pistol session for today with a training buddy, drill one: 15 meters from a rack of five plates, draw-aim-shoot one shot at a plate. Very simple, just basics. And extremely easy to miss if you lose your focus from aiming... Happened to me more than twice, I blame my ever worsening eyesight...yeah, right. Maybe I shouldn't worry about "did I leave the kettle on" while shooting?

Drill two: the same scenario, but this time shoot down two plates with one shot per plate. Again extremely easy to miss the first shot if your mind is already focused on the second plate while you are supposed to be shooting at the first one...

Drill three: from 25 meters, take you aim and shoot at a plate, let you buddy shoot another one, reset the rack until you can determine who'll miss and have to buy two cups of coffee. Didn't have to.

Nothing fancy or high speed, but the plate is about the size of man's face and the first guy to hit the other at his face usually is the one who goes back home after the hard days work is done. Hits count, quick misses don't. Spent 75 rounds of ammo and felt like this was a good training session. I find it counter productive to try to fit lots of different drills in a limited time period using very little actual repetitions from which your learning in the end comes from. On an "expert course" this is acceptable: what you do as an instructor is you show your students different ways to help them improve they skill set on their own, but you don't expect them master everything after the limited time of the training course.

Training isn't always about learning new skills, most often it should be about making sure your skill set isn't declining and you can trust your abilities when they are really needed.

Just my thoughts, not universal absolutes

Banned

All a waste of time and money get https://mantisx.com now a local distributor in South Africa https://ultimate-marksman.co.za/products/mantisx-training-system

User

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpglock View Post
    All a waste of time and money get https://mantisx.com now a local distributor in South Africa https://ultimate-marksman.co.za/products/mantisx-training-system
    Are you saying that this is a substitute for live fire practise and training?

Are you involved with the distribution,sales ,marketing etc of this product?

User

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpglock View Post
    All a waste of time and money get xxx
    Eish......

User

I wouldn't shoot dot torture if I only had 50 rounds. It's not really a "practice drill", it's more of a "diagnostic drill". With 50 rounds only, I would go with SSP and BigT's advice. You'll see the most gains from shooting groups. Supplement that with a heavy dry fire routine where you can practice all the fast and fun stuff, and you might almost make up for the lack of live fire

Banned

Are you saying that this is a substitute for live fire practice and training?

No it is an aid to be a better shooter. It is like to have a virtual trainer with you all the time.
    (This unit will never replace training with a good trainer nor will it replace life fire. But now with the unit is life fire with a purpose so the 50 rounds can really count)
    (At the range you shoot and shoot wasting ammo and not getting better because you don't know what you are doing wrong, with MantisX it will give you an analysis of each shot and how to correct the wrong)
    After using MantisX for a month now, my shooting improved a lot (groups are getting smaller and more consistent ) only with dry fire. So the unit paid for it self compared to firing real ammo)

Are you involved with the distribution,sales ,marketing etc of this product?[/QUOTE]

No I am an user and found this a great tool to become a better shooter. It is absolutely worth the money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast