Banned

Default Teaching kids - where/how to place my hands?

I have been taking my son (5) to the shooting range over the last two to three years. He only shoots if he wishes to - sometimes none and sometimes two full mags.

Usually we shoot my M&P9. He stands between my arms, I hold it with my left hand and aim, and I assist him pulling the trigger with my left index finger. The right hand assist in a type of tea cup grip. The recoil is for my hand. His little right hand goes where its supposed to be on the grip but is so small that the recoil hurts him if I put my hand over his. He can also barely reach the trigger, so I do most of the work as well.

I will be applying for a Ruger Standard pistol in .22LR during the next week or two. This will hopefully help a lot.

My question: is there any other way to hold a pistol whilst teaching a child? Or another grip position to think of?

Any suggestions? I have considered getting a small .22 Lr revolver - I have seen that the grip size is easier for kids.

User

Default Re: Teaching kids - where/how to place my hands?

Ds .... Have you not answered your own question....i aim,assist pulling trigger...his little right hand...grip so small...recoil hurts him....barely reach trigger.

I do not know of another way to teach him except to say that maybe an airgun and in a couple of years a 22 as you proposed.
    You don't think that you have taken a too big first step?

Banned

I was in a similar situation with my son 3 years ago. I rescued a 22lr star pistol from being handed in for destruction. This makes a very loud bang and he was terrified of it. I decided to let him rather shoot with the 22lr rifle which he enjoys very much. He only started shooting with the star this year. Personally I think a handgun is not the way to get kids involved in shooting. Let him start with a pellet gun or 22lr.

Banned

He shot a scoped pellet basically alone for the first time in his life last Friday and got second place.

Before that I held and aimed a .22 rifle or pellet gun for him. He is not completely new to shooting.

I saw ArnoG26's photo and read his comment that his daughter of five shot his 9mm Glock.

If there is a better way to teach a youngster I want to know how, especially since I have a .22 pistol coming up.

As for myself, I cannot remember when I shot my first firearm so I cannot take my own teaching as an example, only what I do and that might be less than optimal.

I will contact him as well.

I first shot a handgun when i was 12 years old, but that was many many moons ago. They start them younger now.

I reckon forget about the 9mmP on such small kids. The .22lr is the way to go. Something with a nice single action trigger. Once they get over the bang and realise that gun doesn't kick, there is nothing to fear.... u are in a lifetime of hurt. Dad we need more ammo, dad when can we go to the range again. Open a can of worms u did

User

I also started my little one with a Star HK Lancer (.22lr) when he was about 5. He quickly became rather proficient with it.
    I did find that the slide was difficult for him to rack, and it was prone to mifires.
    About a year ago I obtained a Beretta 70 in .22lr.

He can consistantly hit a IDPA target at 15m with it. MUCH better than the Star. It also have a slide lock feature, something the Star lacked.
    Every time we go to the range, he shoots about 4x mags through the Beretta.

Coming back to the OP, try to get a .22lr semi pistol. It's much easier for kids to handle and it teaches them the basics of firearm handling / safety.
    My son is now 8 and still cannot handle any of our 9mmP pistols. He did try the P07, but did not enjoy it.

Banned

Thanks folks, it seems I'm at least not on the wrong track.

User

Over the years, as a Boy Scout adult leader I have taught many boys (ages 11 to 16) to shoot shotguns and rifles. I also started my own children around 8 years old or so. This is what I have learned and has helped me.
    1) Train the novice at the kitchen table first, explain how the gun works, components, etc and let them handle it. Note, a rifle range, pistol range, shotgun skeet range, duck blind and aircraft cockpit are the world's worst classrooms, they are hot or cold, loud, and sometimes confusing. Start off at the kitchen table and "gun talk and explain".
    2) Start off with a .22. Note, here in the United States, small, yellow sheetrock anchor, make an excellent .22 "fake bullet" and I use those for loading practice and dry firing.
    3) When my children were small and had questions about the guns or wanted to throw an American football or American baseball, I stopped whatever chore I was working on with 10 minutes and tried to do this. Your children will only be small and curious once and then they are gone, enjoy and spend that time with them.
    4) Here in the United States, The Boy Scout Merit badge handbooks on Rifles, Shotguns are excellent training and reference documents, easy to read and good diagrams, these help with teaching youth.
    5) For shotgun training, I started my kids on a 20 gauge Remington Pump, youth model. After table talk and explanations, we went to the skeet range and started a station 7, skeet flying directly away. For the first skeet, launch the skeet and have the novice track the skeet with their extended arm and forefinger. This gives the novice a sense of speed and tracking technique. Then give them a single shotgun cartridge and let them try under your supervision.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Sportster

Ruger Bearcat maybe