Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Why refer to bullets as "heads?"

Actually that’s BS. Words have meanings. And that’s the basis of communication.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Bullshit
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Man you are easy to bait :)

The second I typed that I knew you would respond, and prove my point at the same time.

So here is the thing, I have never, ever, seen someone correct a person on the bullet vs heads topic without knowing exactly what that person meant. In short, everybody knows people are referring to bullets when they type heads. So the correction is not made in order for proper communication, proper communication have already commenced, as communication is nothing more than the exchange of information via some system.

The correction is then made outside of communicational requirements, it’s made to preserve the status quo.

For example, I know exactly what BS means, it’s not in the dictionary but proper communication have commenced. Still I feel a correction is not on the cards, as I am not offended with its use in the scenario.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Man you are easy to bait :)

... In short, everybody knows people are referring to bullets when they type heads....
    Just count me out there please?

I know what a HEADstamp is, but have no idea how to read a bulletstamp.

User

You're right, but languages evolve with time and the principle of common usage dictates new meanings.
    A good example, years ago referring to someone as gay referred to their demeanour, and technically it still does, but almost everyone will agree that it is now exclusively used to reference sexuality.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User

Mmmmm...go into a gunshop and ask what 30 cal bullets are available and you will be shown Hornady,Sierra ect.....as in bullets.

Go into same gunshop and ask what 3006 bullets are available and the chances are you will be shown PMP,Sako ect...as in cartridges.

Go into same gunshop and ask what 308 bullets are available and you could be shown bullets or cartridges.

So,not only is there the incorrect nameing between bullets and heads but also between bullets and cartridges.

Just call it by its correct terminology,correct others on their mistakes and live happily ever after.

Banned

My late father used to say: "N hond het koeëls en 'n geweer het patrone"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Niekiepienaar View Post
    My late father used to say: "N hond het koeëls en 'n geweer het patrone"
    Your late father was most likely not a reloader?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    The biggest problem about all of this is the fact that any language is made up, like table manners or a dress code, nothing more.

For example some idiot decided to call the bottom of a case the head, now every single person in the world have to follow suit.
    If it was called a thingamajig then everybody would have been forced to call it that as well.

The older generation called something anything they wanted, the younger(read internet) generation gets called out by every single grammar nazi, hence they are forced to comply.
    In written media maybe it's easier to call something by it's correct name, to make communication easier, but that in no means imply it was named correctly.
    It's like telling someone he is wearing the wrong clothes for a specific occasion, you will both be 100% correct and also 100% wrong.

Especially Afrikaans, it's just a mixed bag of everything, and one day someone was tasked to put it in black and white.

Don't know what is worse, being scolded for being free, or being a slave and complying with anything everybody thinks up for you.
    Some Idiot called the bottom the case head because it is formed in a operation called 'heading' in a die called a 'heading die'. Next we will be referring to a magazine as a clip because that's what everybody else is calling it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Your late father was most likely not a reloader?
    Nope. Neither was the dog!

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast