Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Being aware vs being a dick

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Dude, my little girl is nearly 8 months old, I understand your caution and why this would stress you out, and I can assure you as a father that if that guy had to draw a knife, your natural instinct mixed and fueled with adrenaline would have kicked in and you would not have failed, you probably would not even have needed your FA.

On the other side, I have no shame in being a total rude dick when it comes to my child and strangers.
    100%

Noost..I just re-read your post and I see you did shout "NO" at him...right? That's good man that you had a clear mind to do that and also to try whip the stroller away. Next time you will be way ahead of someone. Great advice about perhaps the missus' role is to push the stroller when you are navigating a lot of people and you can pull security detail. Give her a break and take over when it seems reasonable to do so. You guys are a team....mama bear get's to deal with baby while papa bear looks for bad things in her path.

It's actually a really great point you bring up and others with newborns and stroller age kids can learn from your experience. Like if you are taking a walk with the baby on your own and pushing the stroller, perhaps try come up with tactical scenario's you might encounter and come up with different plays. Put yourself in the role of an attacker and try figure out where they would do it, how they would do it, would there be a vehicle he/they could run to close by to run off with your child? Etc etc etc

It's great you spotted him ahead of time...you were paying attention! That's good stuff man.

Hey brother.....congrats by the way on her first birthday. The little one's are so precious....enjoy this time, they get grown up so fast.

This is legitimately one of my worst fears. My coconut is almost 7 months old and I really have nightmares about someone trying to harm her. Good on you for being vigilant, I believe next time you will be prepared to deal with such a situation.

I never thought of myself being a daddy, but now that I am I can attest to the fact that I will do all that I am physically capable of to protect her.

Washington State, United States of America

They grow up REAL fast. Being surprised really sucks. I have had a few things happen in front of me, and it was over before I could have done much of anything. Condition Yellow all the time, but still a few get through. I was in a crap neighborhood ( was working there trying to find a place to get some food), and a homeless looking/strung out guy yells at me from my left side, and he is pointing a finger at me like a gun, yelling "bang bang" and laughing. My light was on in my garage LATE at night, and my 13 yo daughter is out there with me, as we are painting some of her bedroom furniture. A person is in my driveway 20 feet from me and yells "I'm going to F&$#*N kill you". My fault, no night vision, as I was in a bright garage, (outside looked like a black hole), and I put myself and family at risk, because my area is "safe"! (Guess not)! My fault with the homeless guy, my head was not on a swivel. My fault both times. Learn, talk about it, and now you have something that you will never forget. Learn from it, don't let it eat on you. Sometimes you gotta be a dick, sometimes a nice one, sometimes a rude one. I've had several reactions I'm not thrilled with myself with, as well as some good ones.

What happens sometimes is what some folks call a "shark bump", (do sharks do this? I have no idea). But the idea is to give a potential target a little shove or "bump", and see what the reaction is. Then decided what to do from there.

User

Before I touch anyone else or their kids, I ASK PERMISSION first.

If you do that to any one of my kids, without my explicit permission, you can thank all your lucky stars if you survive to tell the story. Having had a few close encounters before, I am somewhat over-protective.

User

Hi All,

Thanks for your stories and replies!

My wife is armed and was next to me, she was however pushing a trolly to my left and this chap was front of me. For us both, when it happened, we could not decide fast enough if it was a threat or not. We both had a long chat about what happened as it rattled us both quite well and how we will deal with it if it happened again.

@A-R, that is exactly what I am taking away from this, he did not ask permission. If someone walks right up to you and starts talking right in your face and or touches you, I reckon we are all more than happy sending the guy packing with a couple of loose teeth. So why should it be different for my baby?

As soon as he got down, I should have been more vocal and aggressive. I Should have acted faster in wedging myself between the baby and him instead of being indecisive. Screw manners, he did not ask permission.

I feel what our downfall here was is that my wife and I are more courteous, for the lack of a better word, than we should be. F8ck that, lesson learned.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    100%

It's actually a really great point you bring up and others with newborns and stroller age kids can learn from your experience. Like if you are taking a walk with the baby on your own and pushing the stroller, perhaps try come up with tactical scenario's you might encounter and come up with different plays. Put yourself in the role of an attacker and try figure out where they would do it, how they would do it, would there be a vehicle he/they could run to close by to run off with your child? Etc etc etc

Hey brother.....congrats by the way on her first birthday. The little one's are so precious....enjoy this time, they get grown up so fast.
    Thanks fumbles, I do not know how more to train / prepare for a scenario like this, except sticking to the same rules we train for when out and about. Awareness and response. I remembered my jacket was zipped up. It is one of these K-Way jackets. So if the situation would have come to me drawing my FA. I would have lost 2-3 seconds just getting my hand on my FA. That would have been game over.

Thanks for the Bday wish! Yeah man, having a kid in your life changes your life a lot, especially sleep. Sitting here utterly exhausted from coming home from work to baby siting the whole afternoon. But it is all worth it.

User

@Fumbles, as you mentioned in your first post. It only struck me much later that it could have been a setup for an ambush. My wife and I were totally entranced by this chap that someone could have, without any difficulty, pushed a knife in our backs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Dude, my little girl is nearly 8 months old
    Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    My coconut is almost 7 months old
    Congrats guys!

Oh, if anyone ever told you it gets easier as they grow, well, it doesn't.

Washington State, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by noost View Post
    Congrats guys!

No easier, but we love it! One in "the trades", one to the Marine Corps in October, one to go!

Quote Originally Posted by noost View Post
    Congrats guys!

Thanks man! And thanks for the reality check lol :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2