Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Action headaches

Howsit Gents,

So quick question, I was wondering about action choice and I've hit a bit of a snag. There are 3 options here, all magnum actions:
    1) MRC
    2) CZ 550 (tuned)
    3) Sako 85

All will be used to build a .375 H&H AI

The focus here is reliability, strength and accuracy... As one would expect.

Issue/Consideration 1

MRC has a bit of a hot and cold rep at present and I'm slightly worried about such, no one wants to be stuck with a custom rifle that behaves below par. This, coupled with the fact that they are pricey as hell in SA, worries me intensely.

Issue/Consideration 2

The CZ has a massive extractor claw and is tough as nails. With a bit of tuning I feel like it could be a class act and truly worth while, I just bloody hate the safety. It's also the cheapest option here, not that we go for cheap as you get what you pay for.

Issue/Consideration 3

Sako make great firearms, no doubt, but the lack of a serious extractor and almost push feed system leaves me pretty nervous. I don't know about their reliability or extractor strength and it's making me uneasy. I don't know whether or not the detachable magazine is a good thing... I also despise the remington style safety.

If I'm off beat anywhere, please set me right, I like being wrong... Especially when it makes choices easier

Any and all advice will be appreciated...

User

Default Re: Action headaches

I am a huge fan of the CZ. Currently have 4 of them
    Get it polished and you can apparently get an aftermarket Winchester Model 70 type safety for it if it really bothers you.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Could you elaborate on why you find the CZ and Remington style safeties to be horrible?

Personally, I would build a dangerous game rifle on the CZ action because, as you rightly state it is a very tough controlled feed action. You must also take into account that whilst the action is relatively cheap, it is not poor quality at all and responds well to some polishing. You may also then, with the money you save have some exterior polishing, engraving and jeweling done which will turn the somewhat plain action in to a thing of beauty.

User

While I love my Sako 85,i wouldn't use that action to build a gun that will be used for dangerous game. It is a push feed action, no matter what the Sako marketing team spins it to be.

User

The man hasn't even mentioned the use and you guys are all dangerous game :)

But seriously, even if it does include DG, what does that matter, I mean you are not allowed to hunt them here alone, so someone with a real gun will be backing you up, as a 375 isin't a charge stopper in any case.

How important is a controlled feed action, for hunting dangerous game, really? I have used both controlled feed and push feed actions for hunting antelope and pigs and over 30 years and literally thousands of animals, I can recall 3 occasions where rifles let me down. Two of those times have been while using cf action rifles, once a broken firing pin on a '98 action and once a failure to feed due to a weak magazine spring, again using a rifle with a '98 action. The third failure was with a push feed rifle, an overloaded cartridge got stuck in the chamber and the extractor ripped through the case rim as I hammered the action open. In the last case a cf action might have extracted the case but I would still have had to hammer open the bolt.

I have shot only two buffalo, once with a guide and once alone. Both were shot with push feed rifles, the second with an inappropriate caliber under rather stressful circumstances. I am currently looking at a larger caliber rifle. So, before I buy, is a controlled feed rifle really necessary. I have done some fast and furious shooting, under pressure, with push feed rifles without any problems except for the one case mentioned above.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

User

Think the CZ is king here. I want simplicity and reliability, not really too interested in good looks... The aim is for it to be my "go to" weapon. Whether that includes buff at a later stage, only time will tell. I just want something where, no matter what I decide to hunt (the really big stuff excluded) I won't be leaving too much to chance. Assuming you can handle it, rather have too much gun than too little.

On the safeties, I operate the mauser (flag) and winchester safeties a lot faster than either the CZ or the remington style safety. Not quite sure why, I think it's a case of "being comfortable with what you're comfortable with". Every firearm I used growing up was an old mauser, I think that's why I prefer the CF as well. Lastly, I grew up with a .270 that used to smack me motherless, I can't explain why (perhaps fit?), then I was introduced to a .318 that I adored and lastly a .416 that, while hefty, didn't bliksem the sh*t out of me when I squeezed off. The only mauser copies I used were a .22 hornet and a 7x64, both on CZ actions. While the rifles were great and the accuracy superb, that safety and I never got on.

Thinking back, that Brenneke was a treat. Shot a whole lot of game with her and only time I needed more than one shot was due to shooter stupidity.

User

Get the CZ action and get it polished up. They really are robust actions and work well in our dusty climate.

User

I cannot sing the praises of the BRNO 602 and CZ550 magnum actions to0 highly. But the safety IS a pain - often getting knocked on unintentionally. Solution? Just take them off as we have done on all our heavy rifles and dozens of lodge rifles.

User

Why AI a 375H&H??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast