User

Default Boer se Roer - Lategan / Potgieter gun collection

Does anyone know where Prof. Felix Lategan's gun collection is currently housed? To my knowledge it was at one stage kept in Graaff-Reinet and later moved to Orania. Is it still there?

User

Default Re: Boer se Roer - Lategan / Potgieter gun collection

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    Does anyone know where Prof. Felix Lategan's gun collection is currently housed? To my knowledge it was at one stage kept in Graaff-Reinet and later moved to Orania. Is it still there?
    No one know?

User

OK, seems no-one has the answer. Different websites list it as being housed at the Ou Residensie museum in Graaff-Reinet, or at the Orania Kultuurhistoriese museum. So its either been split, or some of the websites are wrong. I'll try to find out and shall report back here.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

What does the collection consist of? I’ve never heard of it and this has sparked some interest.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    OK, seems no-one has the answer. Different websites list it as being housed at the Ou Residensie museum in Graaff-Reinet, or at the Orania Kultuurhistoriese museum. So its either been split, or some of the websites are wrong. I'll try to find out and shall report back here.
    Wikipedia list it as housed in Orania. Know the collection used to be split between Bloemfontein Fort and Graaff-Reinet.

User

I have spoken to someone from Graaff-Reinet, the collection is definitely still at Graaff-Reinet Ou Residensie, I don't know if part may be at Orania. I'll hope to visiting both towns during April and will report back. I saw it years ago at Graaf-Reinett, definitely worth seeing. If I recall, many of the guns were featured in the book, Boer se Roer, which is a classic.