Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Mauser 1871 cal 11.15 x 60 aka Mauser 43

Members, I went to Hnasie Minnaar to sort out difficulties in regards to reloading and paper patching the 11.15 x 60 Mauser bullets..Hansie used .423" diameter ( 404 Jeffery ) cast bullets to paper patch to fit the 11.15 x 60 brass for re-loading. We went to his shooting range and did some shooting. The rifle really grouped well, at fifty meters I got a small grouping. This rifle will be my mainstay black powder hunt rifle in 2019..

I bought a lot of bullets from Hansie Minnaar and will be able to reload for a long time coming..I did buy a lot of paper patched Martini Henry bullets , al 480 gn ....excellent bush veld hunting bullets...
    I will be doing my own paper patching bullets for the 1884 Era Black Powder hunt this year (2019).

Banned

Gert, please tell us a little bit more about the paper used for patching?

I know there are certain requirements, but not exactly what.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Gert, please tell us a little bit more about the paper used for patching?

I know there are certain requirements, but not exactly what.
    Jaap, I went to Johan Van Wyk, he is a Protea Black powder shooter and hunter. He holds the record of long distance black powder shoot competition...., I stand to be corrected , but I think it was 1.2 km long shot...
    I really learned a lot about black powder re-loading and paper patching. Johan uses Air mail paper . He makes his own lubricant as well. Hansie Minnaar did teach me a lot as well in regards to paper patching, it really is a advantage to be fortunate to learn from te best...I will upload some photos of how I do my paper patching according to Hansie Minnaar en Johan van Wyk shortly.
    I definitely will be able to shoot more accurately using Johan van Wyk`s method of loading a front loading black powder rifle...

Banned

Question Re: Mauser 1871 cal 11.15 x 60 aka Mauser 43

Excuse my ignorance

I understand paper patching may be the proper original way of doing things.
    However
    Is it not possible to use modern moulds and cast modern shaped bullets which can be sized and lubricated -- and use a metal gascheck ?
    I am pretty sure there is a bullet style and mould for this old "kettie"

Hallo Gert. Congrads on a nice 43. Following the forum I was quite confused as you started off with it being the 11.15x60R and then carried on as if it is the 10,75x63. However it seems as if the problem has been solved by the chamber cast, good work. I have two 11.15x60R side-by-side rifles, both by JP Sauer & Sohn. One with 16bore and the other with 12 bore. Both very nice, the one in its original case. I use cast bullets and smokeless powder with brass by Bertram.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sarel JN View Post
    Hallo Gert. Congrads on a nice 43. Following the forum I was quite confused as you started off with it being the 11.15x60R and then carried on as if it is the 10,75x63. However it seems as if the problem has been solved by the chamber cast, good work. I have two 11.15x60R side-by-side rifles, both by JP Sauer & Sohn. One with 16bore and the other with 12 bore. Both very nice, the one in its original case. I use cast bullets and smokeless powder with brass by Bertram.
    Thank you Sarel, yes, it still is challenge to figure out where this rifle /design/made fits in the development of this rifle ...I can not find any photos of a similar rifle on the internet and gun auctions ..I also asked my good friend Georg Poppel who live in Germany about this rifle..he pointed out he has never seen such a rifle in Germany or through Europe ...at least I know it is a Mauser 71 single shot action , shooting a 11.15x60R brass and bullet. I managed to buy a lot of brass and rounds on the internet ...re-loading dies , now I have a bullet cast mold as well that I will purchase from a person in the USA who has one in his collection ...
    Tony Byrd, my friend in the USA will be bringing two Mauser 1871/84 black powder rifles to South Africa, these two rifles are spotless in great condition , they stood for forty years in a rifle safe of a person who never shot them because he inherited them from his father but has no rounds to shoot...I wil upload photos of these two rifles shortly...so now I have a safe full of 1871/84 Mausers to hunt with..
    thumbnail_20190314_054549.jpgthumbnail_20190313_174142.jpg
    At this stage I got .423/10.75 diameter bullets from Hansie Minnaar that I am paper patching to shoot in the Mauser 71 ..it really shoots very accurate..
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Excuse my ignorance

I understand paper patching may be the proper original way of doing things.
    However
    Is it not possible to use modern moulds and cast modern shaped bullets which can be sized and lubricated -- and use a metal gascheck ?
    I am pretty sure there is a bullet style and mould for this old "kettie"
    Yes , you can Brenneke , there are two methods, smooth bullets for paper patching like I am doing with the 404 Jeffery bullets Hansie Minnaar made for me...10.75 mm smooth bullets paper patch to fit the 11.15 diameter chamber ...the other method is to cast grease groove bullets with gas checks and size them ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3