Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Resizing question on a loadmaster

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    Could you please elaborate on this, I'm new to reloading and it contradicts what the embedded video advocates.
    On any TC (tungsten carbide) sizer die, the TC insert is crimped into the steel die body. TC is very hard and fairly brittle. If you put too much pressure on the mouth of the die, it could happen that the TC insert gets damaged, ruining your die. For this reason it is advised that the die should be set up to leave a very thin gap between die mouth and shellplate with a case in the die.

Another reason is to lessen stress on the shelplate and carrier. If any die were to touch, it could misalign the plate and carrier and cause premature failure.

User

I do not know if the LM has the same requirement than the Pro1000, but if you adjust the dies too low that it touches the shellplate,the shellplate carrier tends to break around the centre hub. I used to adjust the dies so that there is very small bit of a air gap between the all the dies and all the shell plate positions while there are cases in all the shellplate slots,it looked to me like there is a difference between in the gap size with and without cases in.

Your resizing die must touch the shell plate and more. Take the die out, raise the carrier untill it engages the stop on the handle. Turn in your die until it touches the shell plate, now drop the carrier and turn the sizing die a 1/4 turn in.

This will set the top of the stroke and allow your cases to be properly sized.

Do this first before you set any other dies or priming depth. Also look that the stop on the handle is almost engaged.

The resizing and Factory Crimp Die (if you are running one) must be set at the exact same depth.

I have loaded more than 30 000 rounds on my LM and there is no indication that the carrier or shell plate is taking strain. I have however moved my sizing die, without the pin, to station 2. This allows for a better spread of the load on the plate with the FCD in station 5 and I recommend you do the same if you run the FCD. Station 1 has a universal decapper die.

If your cases are getting stuck, rather add case lube instead of force. Also make sure that you complete the stroke.

The Lee resizing die is set exactly like this on the Pro 1000 or any other Lee press.

And off all the Pro 1000's I have fixed I have not found one where dies set too deep has damaged the carrier. The biggest damaged is caused by users over tightening the ram to the carrier. Dies set too deep, especially the powder die, causes timing issues.
    www.480bc.co.za
    EDC, Sport Shooting, Reloading

Thanks to all for the feedback. My die was set up touching the shell plate plus a quarter turn in from the start. I however loaded 10x dummy rounds to see if they chamber. All chambered and extracted perfectly.

i then remembered that all the brass I was using was S&B so I decided to change to some PMP and Geco brass to see if the "line" I was referring to in the pic was the same. I resized a couple of cases and tadaaaa! The "line" magically went almost right to the bottom of the case. So it seems that it's just the S&B brass that does it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2