User

Default Shotgun barrel length question

I originally intended on acquiring a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5 or 20 inch barrel for HD + occasional sport shooting. I have come across a 500 with a 15.75 inch (40cm) barrel (still has a 5+1 capacity like the 18.5inch) but I was wondering how the shorter barrel would affect the shotgun? Is it worth waiting for one with a longer barrel to pop up for sale?

Alternatively, included in the above sale is a 29.5 inch (75cm) "hunting" barrel with a 3/4 choke, would it be possible to shorten this barrel to the above mentioned lengths and use it for said purposes or would that be considered sacrilege?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Shotgun barrel length question

I would buy it with both barrels and use the 15.75 barrel for the purposes you wanted to use the 18.5/20 barrel for and keep the long barrel for those times when a short barrel is inappropriate (eg shooting trap). I definitely wouldn't cut the long one shorter.

There will be differences between 15.75/18.5/20 inch barrels but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Each length has it's own advantages & disadvantages. Nice thing about shorter barrel is that it makes the gun more maneuverable.

HI Bjorn881,

For home defense you generally want the shortest barrel available for maneuverability as you seem to already know, i do believe that it would be a bad idea to shorten the barrel even with the work done by a gunsmith- the charges can become rather cumbersome for such an undertaking. If you're going to be going the cheap route and simply sawing the unwanted off by hand- it may degrade performance and also may cause problems with the law- as far as I know all work must be undertaken by a qualified gunsmith- this also may mean that your barrel would have to be licensed, although unlikely as the serial number should still be present.

if you have that shotgun thrown in, rather attempt to license it separately and keep everything in its original condition- second hand buyers will look at such modifications with disdain. Generally the longer the barrel in shotguns the truer the group will fly for distance as energy is imparted over the length of the barrel, each barrel has its own category of performance criteria and thus different uses.

If you want a tactical shotgun it'll be great for sport shooting events like 3 gun and in tight spaces, but pretty inept at fowl hunting as opposed to your choked barrel which will deliver a tighter shot group at distance and as a rule of thumb higher terminal velocity of the wad and shot for good effect when hunting. every gun has its place and every barrel has it's purpose. don't mix and match unless you really know why you want it that way.

You know that the choked barrel is choked at the muzzle end right? - the part that the gunsmith will cut off to shorten it.

I would put a proper stock on that gun before I did anything else.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I would put a proper stock on that gun before I did anything else.
    Hear hear

I meant to add that too.

User

Thank you for all the advice! Putting a proper stock on, such as a Magpul SGA would definitely be a top priority! I'm rather going to wait for a 18.5"/20" Mossberg 500 to pop up for sale as I have no use for a "hunting" barrel and the 15.75" barrel is just too short for my liking!

Well i have seen plenty on youtube and once in real life where Security guard on range knocks himself in face shooting a pistol grip 12g trying to aim with it.