User

Question Estate Firearms - what to do?

Hi all!

So I recently purchased some estate firearms, and got them transferred to dealer stock... the issue - they're still not reflecting on dealer stock, more than three months later. Whenever I phone CFR, they say at the current rate, it will be a LOT quicker to just reapply in my personal capacity? (I know - I should have done this from the start right?)

The thing is, I've decided to further my studies with a post grad degree, and need the money now, so I'm looking to sell the firearms as I need to money to go towards the tuition fees...

So what do I do? Can I only sell them once they've transferred to dealer stock? Or can sell them now and provide the required forms from the estate to the purchaser?

The firearms are currently with a dealer for storage.

These CFR delays are killing me slowly...

Thanks for the input all

User

Default Re: Estate Firearms - what to do?

Hi Marshy,

I can't help with that but...

What kind of firearms are we talking about?

User

In fact, if the guns are worth it, someone might be willing to wait for you to get it in your name and then license it from you?

I.e. buy it from you now then follow the above.

User

Get letters from the Executor that the firearms are sold out of the estate to the new purchaser. They then apply via SAP 271 with copies of the diciesed licence and ID as well as said letter.

Marshy, while I’m sure that your intentions are pure, be very careful of selling guns that aren’t licenced to you as it enters the realm of dealing.
    - GAMER -

User

Possibly get the dealership to buy the guns from you as going into their stock anyways?

Surprised taking so long, I bought a .22LR which was supposed to be in dealer stock and wasn't (which I discovered when I applied for my license), then a week or so later it was in their stock.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Marshy, while I’m sure that your intentions are pure, be very careful of selling guns that aren’t licenced to you as it enters the realm of dealing.
    Thanks SH,

That's a good point and I'm pretty weary of this... I think I'll try license them in my name and then move them along?

In the interim, I'll follow up with CFR and see if there's been any progress.

Edit: I just chatted to CFR and they said they'll put me through to someone tomorrow to see what the hold up is.

If they're not put on the dealer's books, I'll just go the route of licensing them under my own name and will then move them from there

A few years ago I inherited a firearm. The Executor of the estate completed his part on the SAPS 271 application form and I applied (and was granted) for a permit to store the firearm at my home. I just could not use the firearm. 3 months later my licence was approved. I do not know if the fact that the Will mentioned that the firearm should go to me helped in any way.