Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Collector's Associations

Looking into starting a collection. Which collector's associations are in Northern Joburg or Pretoria. Any recommendations.

User

Default Re: Collector's Associations

What kind of collection are you looking at starting?
    Do you have any collectibles already?

User

I can definitely recommend the Pretoria Arms & Ammunition Association (PAAA).

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    What kind of collection are you looking at starting?
    Do you have any collectibles already?
    I own a range of normal firearms up to SLR but none as a collector.

I am looking at bolt action service rifles, the LE and similar seem very interesting but I have not yet decided on the details. If anything I would like to learn a bit more before I decide to take the plunge.

User

Then like wave.jaco, I would suggest PAAA, been a member with them since around 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi_ View Post
    I am looking at bolt action service rifles, the LE and similar seem very interesting but I have not yet decided on the details. If anything I would like to learn a bit more before I decide to take the plunge.
    You can't just decide to "start a collection". You need to develop "an interest in and knowledge of" a "specific theme or field of interest" before you can attempt to convince the collector's association to categorise you as a Private Collector (FCA Regulation 5, as amended). Joining an association will, of course, help to increase your knowledge of collectable firearms of all sorts. However, you cannot licence any firearm under FCA Section 17 (Private Collection) until you have clarified in your own mind where your interest lies, and can demonstrate a resonable amount of appropriate knowledge.

If you begin to firm up you area of interest then BUY some BOOKS. Do not just rely on the internet and YouTube!

Peter

User

If you are in Jhb, I would recommend SAAACA - Gauteng. Their office is at the Military Museum in Saxonwold tel 011 6461311. If in Pretoria, go for PAAA tel 0823313514.

Both are excellent.

Following this topic...
    Having purchased 3 Ruger double action revolvers in 38spl and 38spl/357mag for sport shooting and hunting, am finding it more tricky to motivate additional wheelguns, but the interest is strong and I come across mint Ruger and S&W 38spl/357mag double action revolvers all the time sometimes at very reasonable prices. So I am considering crossing over to becoming a collector.

User

You may not be aware of it, but you are already a collector with a field of interest.

Go for it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    Following this topic...
    Having purchased 3 Ruger double action revolvers in 38spl and 38spl/357mag for sport shooting and hunting, am finding it more tricky to motivate additional wheelguns, but the interest is strong and I come across mint Ruger and S&W 38spl/357mag double action revolvers all the time sometimes at very reasonable prices. So I am considering crossing over to becoming a collector.
    You'll be able to develop & theme or field of interest around that & get it accepted by the association without a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast