User

Default Pavlov's Hog - Part 111

My second trip was a totally different affair. I went to the site during the day and dumped a big bucket of fermented maize and molasses. I then cleared all the grass tops and vegetation that would obscure my direct line of site to the feeder. Its amazing how a single grass stem picking up the torch light can mess up your view through a scope at night. I then came back later that evening to be settled in by 7:00pm, an hour before the feeder goes off.
    Conditions were totally different. For one, it was a really hot evening, and I was cooking in my thermals, wooly socks and down jacket, but the good news is that there was a nice wind blowing. I could sense that the warm air together with the stiff breeze that kept changing direction was doing a good job in preventing them from detecting me by smell by pushing it all over the place. Judging by the size of a bush pig snout I’m sure most of their life revolves around scent trails. Every now and again I got a wiff of the fermented maize, and thought "damn that smells good how could a pig not like that."
    So there I lay, on the comfort of my wife’s pilates matt (remind me to clean the sheep shit off the bottom end), waiting for something to happen. I made sure I chucked a lot of the fermented stuff into nearby bushes, to make sure they broke some twigs to alert me. I was dozing off nicely when the next minute I nearly jumped out of my skin as the feeder went on at 8pm. I had no idea how much noise those spinning blades make when they hit the mealies. Great I though, with that racquet it’s going to scare every pig from a mile around.
    Exactly one minute later, I heard a twig break, and I switched on the torch to see what it was. The entire sounder was quietly munching away under the feeder. I had only a narrow view, so I couldn’t really pick the pig I wanted. I was scared the torch light might scare them off, so I quickly picked up the first pair of eyes, from the direction it was going, I aimed one hand across and one hand down to get the shoulder and pulled the trigger.
    The pig went down on the spot and kicked a lot. I realized I must have hit it on the spine. (I found out later that the mounts of my newly fitter scope had worked loose, hence the shot was a bit high).
    Then came my dilemma. The pigs had no idea where the shot came from (suppressor!!) or what my position was, so they milled around the area snorting. After all the stories I’ve heard and pictures I’ve seen about angry pigs, I lay there for a while but they still did not push off. So I called for back up. They scattered when the famer came with his bakkie and shotgun.
    We recovered the big, bush dressed it and loaded it up.

It looked good in the cold room. My wife wasn’t thrilled, but the kids were expecting to have Asterix and Obelix over for dinner.

Skinning the pig took a lot longer than a normal buck, as the skin doesn’t ‘tear ‘ off easily. You have to cut it in most places to get it off, but it is not as bad as skinning a domestic pig, which is a mission. The animal itself with its thick skin and pink meat reminded me a lot of porcupine. The meat is quite different to anything I have tasted. Its like a three way split between lamb, pork and venison. It has a slightly springy texture, which attests to the fact that they are such tough animals.
    I worked it as follows:

Ribs like spare ribs.
    Back – cut into chops –a bit lean but very much like a lamb chop
    Neck and shins for potjie
    Shoulder for wors
    Hind leg to roast

So to add to Pavlov’s research, it takes about 35 days to train a bush pig. I wonder how long it took him to train his dog

User

Default Re: Pavlov's Hog - Part 111

daaaam, those ribs are looking good

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    daaaam, those ribs are looking good

Ja! Now Im hungry but dont wanna wait 35 days

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

I'm amazed. The more I hunt the more I realise how ignorant I am. With regards to bushpig, I had no idea of the amount of preparation that might be needed.

Congrats on your successful hunt, sure looks tasty.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Ja! Now Im hungry but dont wanna wait 35 days

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Well done!!

Congrats on your success!! Your cold room looks pretty awesome! Care to share some details, sizes etc?

User

The cold room was our best investment on the house ever. It doubles up as a fridge and a wite wine cellar, and in hunting season, it can fit about 12 springbuck. or two big animals quartered. Its about 1.5mx3m and is built inside the space that used to be a pantry. I had the stainless shelves and rails custom built (cost almost as much as the room). It has the smallest size industrial split unit chiller. It's quite effecient from a power consumption side, but it is a little bit noisy. The glass door cost a bit is worth putting in, but that should be heated otherwise you get a lot of condensation and water on the floor. Also, use LED lights inside. They can operate in the cold and don't give off much heat. The trick is to find a refrigeration company to build it that can work to neater domestic specs.

User

well done on your efforts,those ribs looks seriously tasty.
    What calibre I you rifle?
    Cant recall if someone has already asked you.