Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Witbank
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,888

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Johan, please deliberate on why you do not like the BRNO ZP47?

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    (012)
    Posts
    700

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Gert,
    I believe it's the Magnaporting that disqualifies this gun and not the model.

  3. #23
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    878

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Gert,

    As Oscar has said, the specific gun, with Mangnaporting, not the model. The small amount of felt recoil reduction by the porting, does not in any way make up for the massive increase in noise. And that coupled with the fact that there are some who do not hunt with earprotection and gundogs do not ever have earpro, makes it of zero use as a hunting gun. I am of course assuming that Noost's old lady wants to hunt with it. Even on the trap line, it is no fun shooting next to someone that shoots a ported barrel, if I am forewarned, I will double plug.

  4. #24
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Witbank
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,888

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Thank you Johan, Yes , I noticed the magna-porting afterwards..it really does not fit on a great old side by side, yes, you are correct, that will not do at at all... I have not noticed a magna port on any other side by side previously??? I would rather make the shotgun fitting my shooting style and physic , as well as fitting a good quality Pacmayer recoil pad before even considering adding such a monstrous feature to a side x side...

  5. #25
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    1,716

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Good morning all!

    Thanks for all the informative responses.

    @Johan, the reason she wants it is purely for a outdoor range toy. She loves a Western theme, as she rides Western style with horses. It is just something she enjoys.

    So my thought was to shorten the barrel a bit and engrave it, if it does not have engraving and turn it into a coach gun.

  6. #26
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    878

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Quote Originally Posted by noost View Post
    @Johan, the reason she wants it is purely for a outdoor range toy. She loves a Western theme, as she rides Western style with horses. It is just something she enjoys.

    So my thought was to shorten the barrel a bit and engrave it, if it does not have engraving and turn it into a coach gun.
    Noost, that now puts the Zabala back on the table, as the reason I don't like them is that they are not well balanced and too heavy and cumbersome to really qualify as a nice game gun and occasional clay gun.


    Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    1,716

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    Noost, that now puts the Zabala back on the table, as the reason I don't like them is that they are not well balanced and too heavy and cumbersome to really qualify as a nice game gun and occasional clay gun.


    Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    More Johan,

    Thanks, so they are reliably built?

    So it would make sense to use a relatively heavy SxS if you want to shorten the barrels a bit, to mitigate recoil somewhat?

    Do you know if there needs to be any involvement from SAPS if you want to shorten the barrel?

  8. #28
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    878

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Quote Originally Posted by noost View Post
    More Johan,

    Thanks, so they are reliably built?

    So it would make sense to use a relatively heavy SxS if you want to shorten the barrels a bit, to mitigate recoil somewhat?

    Do you know if there needs to be any involvement from SAPS if you want to shorten the barrel?
    For the purposes your wife wants it for, it will last her a lifetime.

    I do not know what the legal process is regarding the shortening of the barrels, but I'm sure your local gunsmith will be able to advise. Otherwise contact Juan Brogiolo, he was Valley Trading's gunsmith and I always referred all shotgun work to them.

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

  9. #29

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Noost, u posted a long list on page 2 from Classic Arms. The Miroku is made in Japan and is of very good quality. I would put that on the short list with CZ / Brno.

    U should consider not shortening the barrel too much cause recoil will become more harsh and shot will disperse in wider pattern. In my opinion an 18" barrel which would be identical to your Defender should be about ideal for the task at hand.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    Noost, u posted a long list on page 2 from Classic Arms. The Miroku is made in Japan and is of very good quality. I would put that on the short list with CZ / Brno.

    U should consider not shortening the barrel too much cause recoil will become more harsh and shot will disperse in wider pattern. In my opinion an 18" barrel which would be identical to your Defender should be about ideal for the task at hand.
    I agree with everything that Andre says above, and in particular with the Miroku being on the list. I own a BRNO SxS as well as a Miroku O/U - both are great guns and both very durable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •