Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Cost of a 2nd hand SxS 12G

Noost, when finding a Greener in good condition will be around R7000 -R1200.
    CZ side by side is about R4000- R8000 it depends on the condition..
    If you do not want a shotgun with a strong action, like the Greener cross bolt, under-bites , double bite lock you will find something around R3000- R5000..as I pointed out, rather go for a 20 ga or 16 ga , it may be more expensive ammo but it will fit her better since it is a lighter shotgun..you still need to figure out if she prefer a side by side or over and under..Stay away from single barrels, it has a lot of felt recoil...
    http://gunbroker.co.za/classifieds/a...side-shotguns/

https://www.gunafrica.co.za/classifi...e-by-side.html

http://www.classicarms.co.za/default.php?ipkCat=9&sid=9

https://www.junkmail.co.za/household/q-shotgun

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    No Trayton, only let him know he can contact Johan Greyling for second hand shot guns..I suggested he look for a 20 GA and 16 ga for his wife..it wil fit her better..
    Gert, I am not a fan of looking for a gun that fits you, but rather go for finding the gun that you like and then fitting it for you. But otherwise going subgauge is good if she is slightly build or not strong enough to maintain proper posture when mounting the gun, just remember that recoil from a 28g load in a lighter 20ga is more than in a standard 12ga.

Something most forget to consider is that even if the shotgun bug bites just a little bit, it becomes a volume game and unfortunately the 16ga is expensive to run, because the ammo is expensive. 20ga ammo also comes at a premium, but the premium is not as high.

It all comes back to what she intends using it for.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    The Brno SxS are really nice.
    Thanks CK, will keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    Gert did you PM noost about proof marks? Don't want go into an unnecessary lengthy reply unnecessarily.
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    Noost, what does she want to use it for and where are you located.

5k for a fair condition SbS is doable if you are willing to look. Should find some entry level AYA's Sauer's and old Brno's for that. Even pre 80's Baikal's will work, there are also some unnamed SbS's floating around the are referred to as Spanish guns - also not too bad. If you can get a Greener in good condition for 5k, that is in proof, take it.

Stay away from Zabala.

I would spend the money to have it inspected by a good/competent shotgunsmith before buying.

Hi johannvdg, there is a Greener for sale in the classifieds, thanks for letting me know about the Zabala, Classic arms has one for sale that fits straight into my budget.

What is wrong with Zabala? They are Spanish as well if I am not mistaken?

Will definitively take it to a Gunsmith.

We are located in JHB north and the reason she wants it is purely for a outdoor range toy. She loves a Western theme, as she rides Western style with horses. It is just something she enjoys.

So my thought was to shorten the barrel and engrave it, if it does not have engraving and turn it into a coach gun.

Perhaps later she would enjoy joining a western shooting club and use that there.

No Trayton, only let him know he can contact Johan Greyling for second hand shot guns..I suggested he look for a 20 GA and 16 ga for his wife..it wil fit her better..
    You don't know my wife

She is a plaas-meisie.

Noost, when finding a Greener in good condition will be around R7000 -R1200.
    CZ side by side is about R4000- R8000 it depends on the condition..
    If you do not want a shotgun with a strong action, like the Greener cross bolt, under-bites , double bite lock you will find something around R3000- R5000..as I pointed out, rather go for a 20 ga or 16 ga , it may be more expensive ammo but it will fit her better since it is a lighter shotgun..you still need to figure out if she prefer a side by side or over and under..Stay away from single barrels, it has a lot of felt recoil...
    http://gunbroker.co.za/classifieds/a...side-shotguns/

https://www.gunafrica.co.za/classifi...e-by-side.html

http://www.classicarms.co.za/default.php?ipkCat=9&sid=9

https://www.junkmail.co.za/household/q-shotgun
    Would it be better to go for a strong action? Are there any pros and cons between the actions?

Thanks for the links, will check it out now.

Gert, I am not a fan of looking for a gun that fits you, but rather go for finding the gun that you like and then fitting it for you. But otherwise going subgauge is good if she is slightly build or not strong enough to maintain proper posture when mounting the gun, just remember that recoil from a 28g load in a lighter 20ga is more than in a standard 12ga.

Something most forget to consider is that even if the shotgun bug bites just a little bit, it becomes a volume game and unfortunately the 16ga is expensive to run, because the ammo is expensive. 20ga ammo also comes at a premium, but the premium is not as high.

I have a 12 gauge pump (1300 Def) and she runs it very well, in fact she enjoys it more than me. So I have no doubt she can handle a 12Gauge.

User

Absolute first prize will be something like what tactical .22 has.

But that will probably be hellishly expensive.

User

Any possible good ones from this list? This is from classic arms

User

Johan, you are quite correct and covering all the important points. As you pointed out what ever you buy in the shot gun shooting dissipline it all comes down to paying a lot of money when starting using the shot gun to hunt/shoot pigeons ect with, there is no other way to go...we are going this weekend to shoot pigeons..already I am looking at five or six boxes of ammo , this is not even taking in account my son Ruan will be shooting my other 12 ga ....

User

Go for the BRNO shot guns...especially this one,..it is a side lock...beautiful excellent price..
    Brno ZP 49, 28 inch fixed choke double trigger sidelock NE

R 4,000.00

If possible ask for an option and to handle it and view it..if you twist the stock and barrels and there are play /movement skip it..the hinge-pin needs to be adjusted..not every gunsmith can adjust a hinge pin...but any good conditioned CZ or BRNO side by side shot gun is a good buy...
    Both of these are side -locks..excellent ...
    To give you an idea how high I value a CZ or BRNO ( same company) ..with this side lock I will be able to convert it into a double rifle , especially a .450 nr 2 ( Eley)

Previously only a W.W Greener action was considered strong enough to convert the shot gun action to a double rifle for dangerous game animals...now the CZ/BRNO are considered as strong since it has a lot of features that ensures to take a lot of pressure..

User

Quote Originally Posted by noost View Post
    This is the one I would look at.

Stay away from this one.

User

Absolute first prize will be something like what tactical .22 has.

But that will probably be hellishly expensive.

That gun is going to be real whippy, again, what will she be using it for?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast