Post Question about barrels

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a pump-action 12 guage for my first gun, and I'd like to be able to use it for self defence and skeet shooting. With this in mind, I've had my eye on a bunch of shotguns that are being sold with two barrels (e.g. a 20 inch and a 28 inch barrel), as this would be ideal for my plans. However, I'm not sure if it's possible to have two barrels on the license for a single gun, is the gun registered by the barrel? If so, to have two different barrels, would one need two different licenses, or if it's a package deal can it all fit on the same license?
    Thanks in advance,
    BoltedOn

User

Default Re: Question about barrels

You will need to have a seperate license for each barrel according to the FCA.

A concealable handgun would be a much better choice as a first gun and for SD. Who has his shotgun with him when the BG's choose to strike?

You will struggle with a pump in Skeet shooting.

In Trap you will be fine as you only fire 1 shot.
    But then the 28" needs a choke as the clay moves away from you. So you need shot to stay together as long as possible

In skeet where you have to shoot doubles. You will struggle to get onto 2nd bird after cocking.
    It possible. But will be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    You will need to have a seperate license for each barrel according to the FCA.

A concealable handgun would be a much better choice as a first gun and for SD. Who has his shotgun with him when the BG's choose to strike?
    I would if I could. I have the funds and means necessary, but the main thing stopping me there is the opinion of my parents. My dad's not exactly keen on me carrying a gun on my person. He seems more warm towards the idea of something I could use for target shooting (and rather cold towards the idea of using it for self defence), and with his idea of a rifle for that purpose being something of a relatively small caliber, and with shotgun ammo being way cheaper than rifle ammo. He's not anti-gun, but the only firearm we have in this house is an old .22 rifle. I was hoping to go for something with a bit more firepower if I can't get a pistol. That's why I was planning for a package deal, I'd be able to use it for target shooting, and later on, once they warm up to it, could store it with the shorter barrel.
    I'd heard some people say that police don't actually come to see the gun, and that since a smoothbore has pretty much no ballistic fingerprint, you couldn't get into that much trouble with a spare lying around. That seems like a pipe dream now (excuse the pun).

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    You will struggle with a pump in Skeet shooting.

In Trap you will be fine as you only fire 1 shot.
    But then the 28" needs a choke as the clay moves away from you. So you need shot to stay together as long as possible

In skeet where you have to shoot doubles. You will struggle to get onto 2nd bird after cocking.
    It possible. But will be very difficult.
    Thanks mate. Luckily there's a bunch of pumps being sold with chokes, I guess I'll have to introduce myself to trapshooting first then. I love the look of old double barrels but I'm not exactly cutting in line to have to rely on a Joe Biden special when there's a knock on the door.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BoltedOn View Post
    I would if I could. I have the funds and means necessary, but the main thing stopping me there is the opinion of my parents. My dad's not exactly keen on me carrying a gun on my person. He seems more warm towards the idea of something I could use for target shooting (and rather cold towards the idea of using it for self defence), and with his idea of a rifle for that purpose being something of a relatively small caliber, and with shotgun ammo being way cheaper than rifle ammo. He's not anti-gun, but the only firearm we have in this house is an old .22 rifle. I was hoping to go for something with a bit more firepower if I can't get a pistol. That's why I was planning for a package deal, I'd be able to use it for target shooting, and later on, once they warm up to it, could store it with the shorter barrel.
    I'd heard some people say that police don't actually come to see the gun, and that since a smoothbore has pretty much no ballistic fingerprint, you couldn't get into that much trouble with a spare lying around. That seems like a pipe dream now (excuse the pun).
    At Gunsite we do no advocate breaking the law

Quote Originally Posted by Makooza6 View Post
    At Gunsite we do no advocate breaking the law
    Yeah I think I'm just gonna buy one with a long barrel, thanks.