Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GunSite SA statement on the Concourt ruling 7/6/2018

To say we are shocked and disappointed by the ruling is an understatement.

That said we caution the firearms community in general and those affected by the ruling in particular against making any rash statements or acts. Yes, those that brought the case to the Con Court need to be taken note of as well as the motives for doing so. Were their motives and advice they were given sincere?

The real impact of this ruling is going to be felt by ordinary law abiding gun owners of all races and descriptions who for whatever reason failed to renew at the correct time, and now are going to be criminalised and possibly face jail terms.

Let us be clear: The purpose of the FCA has been disarmament as its stated goal since its inception. The excessive and inefficient bureaucracy and relicensing as well as repeated calls for gun bans over the years clearly point to this. The Con Court ruling of yesterday only accelerated a process that was started pre-2000 with the stated goal of removing firearms from legally licensed civilian gun owners. To now accuse, deride and scoff at someone for failing to participate in a process that was calculated to disarm is unfair and uncalled for and in short is victim blaming.

Honestly we do not know what legal or practical advice to give at this stage. We do know that blaming victims of a system is not in our interest either. This ruling touches on so many other principles. The right to a practical means of self defence, ownership of property as well as cultural, historical and sporting pursuits. These principles touch on so many other facets of our daily lives that they are worth standing up for.

Please do not abandon those most affected by this ruling. It helps no one, including yourself

Default Re: GunSite SA statement on the Concourt ruling 7/6/2018

Agreed. Imo the solution is a unified lobbying group to push for the amendment of the Act. At the moment the Act is a mess (No wonder if Cachalia wrote it). It needs to be tidied up substantially. For example, in this case, why criminalise people when motorists are simply fined. Yet many more thousands of people are killed by people driving cars annually than are killed by people using lawfully owned firearms. I also think that a study needs to be commissioned setting out the figures wrt lost guns, stolen guns and then the lawful use of guns in self defence. John Lott reckons that, in the USA there are some 3 - 5 million lawful uses of a firearm in self defence. The media hardly ever tells us when criminals are stopped by the lawful use of a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Were their motives and advice they were given sincere?
    Absolutely they were, whatever the outcome now with the benefit of hindsight.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Can someone please direct me to links where I can read about this. I have no idea what it’s all about, who is doing what to whom etc etc. I am extremely interested in learning more about this. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    Can someone please direct me to links where I can read about this. I have no idea what it’s all about, who is doing what to whom etc etc. I am extremely interested in learning more about this. Thanks
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-on-Section-24
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Here's a question: If somebody failed to renew, and are in possession of a firearm, and want to hand it in to the police, will they face arrest at the station wen they do so? If that's the case, I foresee problems.

Apparently they will not be arrested if they hand in.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post
    Here's a question: If somebody failed to renew, and are in possession of a firearm, and want to hand it in to the police, will they face arrest at the station wen they do so? If that's the case, I foresee problems.
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post
    Thanks. What a FU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slivvtheshiv View Post
    Imo the solution is a unified lobbying group to push for the amendment of the Act. At the moment the Act is a mess (No wonder if Cachalia wrote it). It needs to be tidied up substantially.
    Cachalia didn't write it. It is not a mess - it is serving its intended purpose very well. Consequently it can't be "tidied up" in any way beneficial to us - it should never have been enacted. As for unified, we are in this position because too few have been willing to put their hands to the wheel. At the time of public comment before the FCA was enacted only a miserable 2000 out of three or four million firearm owners bothered to send written submission. We reap what we sow.

@ Dick - "At the time of public comment before the FCA was enacted only a miserable 2000 out of three or four million firearm owners bothered to send written submission. We reap what we sow." I wasn't a firearm owner then. I will be, hopefully, soon. From a legal perspective the Act IS a mess. It is badly written just like the NCA and CPA and Companies Act are badly written. It does need tidying up just like those other Acts do. And so what if people did not give input then...they can give input now and lobby parliament for sensible amendments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast