Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Quote Originally Posted by MRJT View Post
    Pure delay and power bullshit.
    Exactly this... Make it as frustrating as possible and fewer people would bother to apply. The neighbour thing was awkward as hell for me as I had just moved into the area a couple of weeks earlier. Luckily I immediately got on well with one guy, who happened to be a retired SAPS officer, so he understood.

User

Default Re: Competency application

There appears to be no consistency between DFO's as I had the same experience where I had to bring my referees with.

Luckily I work near home and dragged my manager and a colleague along. I also got my sister to write me a reference which I handed in.

I agree that the neighbour request is bollocks. That said the rest of the process was smooth and straightforward.

User

Ja they don't care, I posed the same question about availability of people for interviews. DFO told me straight that that's my problem how I organise it. He needed at least two in person and would make a plan with the third.

I was lucky that day, as the wife worked form home that day so I ordered (read asked her very nicely) her to the police station, and phoned to friends that I have known almost my entire life. They have flexible schedules and both went the following day.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antonie_Pienaar View Post
    Ja they don't care, I posed the same question about availability of people for interviews. DFO told me straight that that's my problem how I organise it. He needed at least two in person and would make a plan with the third.

I was lucky that day, as the wife worked form home that day so I ordered (read asked her very nicely) her to the police station, and phoned to friends that I have known almost my entire life. They have flexible schedules and both went the following day.

I had the same thing, the first time I tried to submit my application I was also told to bring my references in person. So I had to basically wait a week while my references put in leave to be able to accompany me to the cop shop.

The second time I went back, there was a guy who was busy trying to submit his first app and was told the same thing. Unfortunately he lost his temper with the Dfo and a massive verbal confrontation broke out.

The guy said more than he should of and was showed the door and told that it's his problem how he makes the arrangements.

After he left I heard the Dfo saying to another person in the office that when he returns she is going to submit her assessment of his character as unfit to posses a firearm as he is short tempered and highly aggressive.

Moral of the story have uber amounts of patience and be very friendly and nice.

Sent from my Vodacom Power Tab 10 using Tapatalk

User

Competency approved today. SMS said I will receive a notification when ready for collection, but I can mos go to a police station and let them print it?

Thats correct. Just go and they print it for you.

Received my approval SMS on the 28th of August, went to the station yesterday to follow up and was told to give it another week or 2..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johnstone View Post
    Received my approval SMS on the 28th of August, went to the station yesterday to follow up and was told to give it another week or 2..
    This is weird, no reason given?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonie_Pienaar View Post
    This is weird, no reason given?
    None, however the DFO seemed to be busy with something when I asked. Going to go in again on Monday morning, application went in on 17 May so almost reaching 90 working days..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3