Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
All gates to the PS I work at still blocked of. Still a no go for work today. My appreciation and thoughts are with the people in the inside. They are now on shift from God knows when keeping the fires on and the pressure steady. I just hope they have a system to keep fatigue at bay. There are numerous safeties build in but a boiler or a turbine can go BOOM if errors slip in. Remember the turbine they picked the remains from a mielie field a few years ago?

Eskom being dicks with the 0% increase offered, topped of with unions being bigger dicks by holding a whole country at ransom. My sympathy for the unions are eroded away by the second.

Prayers for a speedy resolve to this unhealthy situation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update.

South Africans have to be the world worst or stupidest negotiators. Unions always pitch in at 10% more than they realistically expect. Companies offer 3-5% less than what they are prepared to pay. After 3 weeks of negotiations they get to within 1.5% of each other but neither will budge. After striking, burning buildings and vehicles, workers not being able to feed their family a settlement is reached. Everyone feels done in and the process is repeated the next year.

On a salary of R10000 pm a 1% difference is R100 pm. This is far less than the loss in wages for workers. Even if their demands are met it will take years to make up lost wages after a strike. The losses to companies in lost business, damaged infrastructure and vehicles etc is also not worth the extra 1 or 2%