Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Biting off more than we can chew and barking up the wrong tree.

You are right Captain H. Reality sucks, doesn't it? Great post.

Thank you

User

Thank you Captain Hook for a bit of realism and perspective, albeit with the clarity of hindsight, as Messor pointed out. Yes, we'll certainly have to choose our fights carefully in future and try to better stand together. Again with hindsight, we were fighting the previous war instead of the next one.

I gave up on the possibility of emigrating long ago, my kids are now looking at the options. In most cases, barring the crime issue, emigration seems to me to jumping from the pot into the fire. America seems just about the only country with more gun friendly laws, but with their active shooter problem, how long is that going to last? Also, they seem to have a very limited social safety net and should you lose your job or fall ill, you're going to be really screwed (or so it seems from my limited knowledge and perspective). So, making the gun rights issue your only or main criterion may not be such a good idea.

User

Well said Captain but this one I particularly agree with:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    We (I'm at it again right?!?) need to get our organisations to co-ordinate.
    We (Oh for fucksake!) need to stop paying SAGA, GOSA, the man-boy love association etc fees until THEY (now we're getting somewhere) start working together and not jumping the gun (pun!). Why did GOSA have to try shoe horn their way into this latest defeat at the last minute?
    Us (now we're *shit* cooking with gas!) as members then need to pay more! Why? Because I think the definition of success in this situation is the maintenance of the status quo.
    I'm a paid up GOSA member and I appreciate everything they've done (and whatever they still plan to do) for our firearms rights but I agree that now's the time for each and every gun association (GOSA, SAGA, SAHGCA and whomever else) to sit around the table and start working together for the benefit off all firearms owners. To be honest this is long overdue and I expect GOSA to make this their number one priority once the dust starts settling.

User

Food for thought good post

User

Thanks for a well written perspective.

Gun owners do not help themselves by blatantly disregarding the law. I really feel feel for owners who missed out on renewing their licenses by a few months or were caught out by the 90 day window period.

I do no feel for gun owners that disregarded the law and couldn't be bothered about going through the re licensing process or those that hadn't noticed in 2 years that their license had expired. A few gun owners that I have spoken to before the court case had the attitude of " I have a pistol that just sits in my safe and never gets used. I am not bothered with standing in queues and being messed around. If I have to hand it in so be it"

We are living in a time where we are under threat from all sides. By being complacent we are allowing our rights to be taken away.

In the memoirs of Dr Mario Oriani-Ambrosini he mentions a conversation with Cyril Ramaphosa in 1994 about his plans for whites - this was his answer.

"In his brutal honesty, Ramaphosa told me of the ANC's 25-year strategy to deal with the whites: it would be like boiling a frog alive, which is done by raising the temperature very slowly. Being cold-blooded, the frog does not notice the slow temperature increase, but if the temperature is raised suddenly, the frog will jump out of the water. He meant that the black majority would pass laws transferring wealth, land, and economic power from white to black slowly and incrementally, until the whites lost all they had gained in South Africa, but without taking too much from them at any given time to cause them to rebel or fight."

We are sitting in year 24.
    By the way how many of you have sent a submission regarding expropriation of land without compensation. Submissions close at Midnight 15 June 2018.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

So...

Every dark cloud...

Our dream of a National federation might be a lot closer than ever before. If nothing else was achieved...

Billions of electrons have bravely sacrificed themselves to this cause over the last few days.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

So gun owners lost a battle, but the war isn't over. The adage 'when one door closes another opens' rings true. We have an opportunity to make their lives hell, especially now when an absent DFO isn't around to process the license renewal form, or turns away individuals attempting to legally hand in firearms for which their license has expired.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2