Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Biting off more than we can chew and barking up the wrong tree.

Recently we have taken a severe blow at the highest judicial body in South Africa. It seems "we" (gun owners organisations I'd guess) were fighting the wrong battle.

Shooting around the world vs what we have -

I have recently been preparing to emigrate, and in theory for me its an easy process - I hold multiple passports, I have no children, no bond and a little bit of debt. In reality I have been held back by a simple obstacle - gun laws are by and large very restrictive around the world, in particular the EU. There are notable exceptions, but they are typically Slavic and alien (you can google Estonia, Czech etc; cool places, but for an Anglo in his 30's not an easy resting place). I am struggling to find a home where I can shoot the way I do now, at a very mediocre level. A few of you know me off GS and you know I'm not Miculek, Hikock 45 or Graufell; peace be upon him.

My personal search and correspondence (the police service ((they really do offer a service)) of Northern Ireland are a great bunch if you ever want to see how gun licences should be handled) has also highlight a few privileges of having the FCA.

1) Until recently I was the owner of an AR 15, a kalishnicopy (Type-84 LR3S .223 variant) and a semi-auto shotgun. I have owned a Tula AKM,a Norinco Type 56-1, multiple handguns of types that are not legal to own on cosmetic bases (usually barrel length). Most of these are verbotten to most of the worlds "citizens". I sent a list of my firearms to a dealer in Northern Ireland in 2017 and he was gobsmacked at what I owned at the time - as a civilian.

We are able to own an extensive number of firearm types with little hassles - YES, I know CFR is a disaster, but more on that later.

2)I have a mini ammunition factory (Dillon 650) - reloading is illegal or exceptionally difficult to become involved in in places like the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Serbia, Russia, etc

Our shooting is actually quite easy and inexpensive.

3) We can buy unlimited accessories - suppressors and silencers for example. In many parts of the Western world, central Europe, Eastern Europe the "silliest and most innocuous" items carry heavy regulation. Amounts of ammunition are in some cases monitored by the police with regular visits to your home.

We can add to our shooting experience with little Big Bother over the shoulder peeking.

4) I have never in my life had a South African club tell me there is a waiting list for membership and I should check back in 6 to 18 months time, but please don't pester us we only have so many spots. Oh and the interview fee is 100 Euro - not yearly membership, just the the interview fee. Granted this is not the case across the board, but the rise of IPSC, clays and many other shooting sports is a reality and space, membership slots and actual number of clubs are actually very tight. This is a result of limited land, government permits needed and hoop jumping. Many European ranges will only take members or you need to book to go sight in your rifle, you have to use the club chrony because environmental laws mean they need to safely dispose of batteries, German IPSC shooters may not run on stages and have to wear lead protection gear, etc.

We have very few limits on how we shoot, how we conduct ourselves, when we shoot and what we shoot.

In short the FCA opened up a vista of shooting and gun ownership that was not the norm under the old Arms and Ammunition Act, and our gun culture has thrived - just look at any Safari and Outdoor branch if you doubt that. I don't think the government knew what they were opening up when they drafted the regulations for the dedicated sportsman and the dedicated hunter, they gave us grit that became a pearl.

Biting off more than we can chew-

Hindsight is 20/20. Or is it, I have had a chat to my attorney before and after this little teacup storm and it seemed that this was argued on the merits. Gunservant himself (amongst others) voice grave concerns over this case. Was this really thought out? What was the rationale and how did it get so bad?

I think these are fair questions, we have had a bad reminder that we are swimming upstream and we need to be very careful of how we proceed. Next time we better be damn sure we (who is we again?!?) pick the right canoe, the sharpest paddles, the oiliest strippers and the best rowers to keep going ahead, or get washed away.

Barking up the wrong tree -

The South African government has never been a legislative trend setter, and never will be. It will follow the norms and trends of the current international tide of cultural Marxism that has swept the west. It's also a tide that hates guns. We are not in a climate that will allow for a new series of legislation that is in anyway gun friendly to be passed, the current legislation will never be amended to allow for easier access to firearms. While I do applaud the efforts of GOSA and Paul and Gunservant, and I would love to see a system of licence the man and register the gun; it is not a realistic goal in this environment. We have just seen this at the Constitutional Court:-

Stolen from Wandering Zero post 1 billion and 4 circa 1845:

"[31] And if, somehow, one gets to the kind of weighing-up required in terms of this Court’s section 25 protection of property jurisprudence,34 then relinquishing some incidents of ownership in potentially life-threatening firearms is not too great a price to pay for one of the purposes of the Act, enhancing the constitutional rights to life and bodily integrity." I.e the right to life over rides your right to restricted property?!?

This is the attitude of most of the international community and the average man on the street (person on the street? I'm sure some LGBTIQAudiA4 will correct me). Most voting, tax paying and worn out South Africans really don't care about guns, never have and never will. That means that there isn't one serious politician with a chance of winning a significant election who will champion the gun community in parliament. Gun laws and legislation are boring and don't make for promotion - why bother amending or suggesting amendments that your superiors don't like. Parliamentary committees are for fine dining, networking, a bit of the old chitchatwhatwhat, and very little with actually taking a decision based on facts, research and reducing the net suffering of humanity.

The Judiciary cannot be used to rewrite legislation, they in fact warned the ANC of this not long ago.
    We (I'm struggling with "we" here, I'll buy a thesaurus soon) cannot create our own legislation nor have it rewritten.

The FCA is here to stay. If we keep hacking at it it may just fall on us.

Should we stop chasing our tails?

So whats next? I'm not sure. When I'm prepping my matrics for their finals, I often have to have a few painful chats. They have a few similar themes and a few similar suggestions.
    "Did you really work this year? Can you catch up? Is an 80 a realistic goal? Why didn't your mom just swallow? Whats your plan? What do you think is the best way forward?" Etc, you've got the idea.

I think we need to have a serious look at ourselves, and we need to define success.

We (I'm at it again right?!?) need to get our organisations to co-ordinate.
    We (Oh for fucksake!) need to stop paying SAGA, GOSA, the man-boy love association etc fees until THEY (now we're getting somewhere) start working together and not jumping the gun (pun!). Why did GOSA have to try shoe horn their way into this latest defeat at the last minute?
    Us (now we're *shit* cooking with gas!) as members then need to pay more! Why? Because I think the definition of success in this situation is the maintenance of the status quo.

Yep, in order to stay where you are you need to run as fast as you can.

For the foreseeable future and a few generations we cannot expect an Arthurian victory over the forces of evil, Arthur himself was defeated. What we can do is keep it ticking, and what we can fight is maladministration. We have a set of laws on the books, right now as we speak and as I type and as you fall asleep reading this drivel, that says we get licences in 30 days, once we have proven we "need" a Type 56 for cardboard hunting, that really that 30-06 is actually far better for LOWveld kudu than the 308 I have for HIGHveld kudu and of course I need a FOURTH 9mm for Standard Highland games minor in the mist.

I shudder to think how many court cases we could have fought for the money paid out to suffer this latest ConCourt (Confidence Tricksters?) defeat. Could we (has that been defined yet?) have used the money to sue CFR on such a regular basis that heaven forbid they do their jobs? (Yes, I know its not their money) And what door has been opened to dear old AK and her lot?

We (last one I promise!) need some perspective, we (nope!) need some practical thinking and we (FFS!) need to make sure we(HA!) don't shoot ourselves in the foot going forward.

Rambling over.

CH

User

Default Re: Biting off more than we can chew and barking up the wrong tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Recently we have taken a severe blow at the highest judicial body in South Africa. It seems "we" (gun owners organisations I'd guess) were fighting the wrong battle.

I have recently been preparing to emigrate, and in theory for me its an easy process - I hold multiple passports, I have no children, no bond and a little bit of debt. In reality I have been held back by a simple obstacle - gun laws are by and large very restrictive around the world, in particular the EU. There are notable exceptions, but they are typically Slavic and alien (you can google Estonia, Czech etc; cool places, but for an Anglo in his 30's not an easy resting place). I am struggling to find a home where I can shoot the way I do now, at a very mediocre level. A few of you know me off GS and you know I'm not Miculek, Hikock 45 or Graufell; peace be upon him.

My personal search and correspondence (the police service ((they really do offer a service)) of Northern Ireland are a great bunch if you ever want to see how gun licences should be handled) has also highlight a few privileges of having the FCA.

1) Until recently I was the owner of an AR 15, a kalishnicopy (Type-84 LR3S .223 variant) and a semi-auto shotgun. I have owned a Tula AKM,a Norinco Type 56-1, multiple handguns of types that are not legal to own on cosmetic bases (usually barrel length). Most of these are verbotten to most of the worlds "citizens". I sent a list of my firearms to a dealer in Northern Ireland in 2017 and he was gobsmacked at what I owned at the time - as a civilian.

We are able to own an extensive number of firearm types with little hassles - YES, I know CFR is a disaster, but more on that later.

2)I have a mini ammunition factory (Dillon 650) - reloading is illegal or exceptionally difficult to become involved in in places like the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Serbia, Russia, etc

3) We can buy unlimited accessories - suppressors and silencers for example. In many parts of the Western world, central Europe, Eastern Europe the "silliest and most innocuous" items carry heavy regulation. Amounts of ammunition are in some cases monitored by the police with regular visits to your home.

We can add to our shooting experience with little Big Bother over the shoulder peeking.

4) I have never in my life had a South African club tell me there is a waiting list for membership and I should check back in 6 to 18 months time, but please don't pester us we only have so many spots. Oh and the interview fee is 100 Euro - not yearly membership, just the the interview fee. Granted this is not the case across the board, but the rise of IPSC, clays and many other shooting sports is a reality and space, membership slots and actual number of clubs are actually very tight. This is a result of limited land, government permits needed and hoop jumping. Many European ranges will only take members or you need to book to go sight in your rifle, you have to use the club chrony because environmental laws mean they need to safely dispose of batteries, German IPSC shooters may not run on stages and have to wear lead protection gear, etc.

We have very few limits on how we shoot, how we conduct ourselves, when we shoot and what we shoot.

In short the FCA opened up a vista of shooting and gun ownership that was not the norm under the old Arms and Ammunition Act, and our gun culture has thrived - just look at any Safari and Outdoor branch if you doubt that. I don't think the government knew what they were opening up when they drafted the regulations for the dedicated sportsman and the dedicated hunter, they gave us grit that became a pearl.

Hindsight is 20/20. Or is it, I have had a chat to my attorney before and after this little teacup storm and it seemed that this was argued on the merits. Gunservant himself (amongst others) voice grave concerns over this case. Was this really thought out? What was the rationale and how did it get so bad?

I think these are fair questions, we have had a bad reminder that we are swimming upstream and we need to be very careful of how we proceed. Next time we better be damn sure we (who is we again?!?) pick the right canoe, the sharpest paddles, the oiliest strippers and the best rowers to keep going ahead, or get washed away.

The South African government has never been a legislative trend setter, and never will be. It will follow the norms and trends of the current international tide of cultural Marxism that has swept the west. It's also a tide that hates guns. We are not in a climate that will allow for a new series of legislation that is in anyway gun friendly to be passed, the current legislation will never be amended to allow for easier access to firearms. While I do applaud the efforts of GOSA and Paul and Gunservant, and I would love to see a system of licence the man and register the gun; it is not a realistic goal in this environment. We have just seen this at the Constitutional Court:-

"[31] And if, somehow, one gets to the kind of weighing-up required in terms of this Court’s section 25 protection of property jurisprudence,34 then relinquishing some incidents of ownership in potentially life-threatening firearms is not too great a price to pay for one of the purposes of the Act, enhancing the constitutional rights to life and bodily integrity." I.e the right to life over rides your right to restricted property?!?

This is the attitude of most of the international community and the average man on the street (person on the street? I'm sure some LGBTIQAudiA4 will correct me). Most voting, tax paying and worn out South Africans really don't care about guns, never have and never will. That means that there isn't one serious politician with a chance of winning a significant election who will champion the gun community in parliament. Gun laws and legislation are boring and don't make for promotion - why bother amending or suggesting amendments that your superiors don't like. Parliamentary committees are for fine dining, networking, a bit of the old chitchatwhatwhat, and very little with actually taking a decision based on facts, research and reducing the net suffering of humanity.

The Judiciary cannot be used to rewrite legislation, they in fact warned the ANC of this not long ago.
    We (I'm struggling with "we" here, I'll buy a thesaurus soon) cannot create our own legislation nor have it rewritten.

So whats next? I'm not sure. When I'm prepping my matrics for their finals, I often have to have a few painful chats. They have a few similar themes and a few similar suggestions.
    "Did you really work this year? Can you catch up? Is an 80 a realistic goal? Why didn't your mom just swallow? Whats your plan? What do you think is the best way forward?" Etc, you've got the idea.

I think we need to have a serious look at ourselves, and we need to define success.

We (Oh for fucksake!) need to stop paying SAGA, GOSA, the man-boy love association etc fees until THEY (now we're getting somewhere) start working together and not jumping the gun (pun!). Why did GOSA have to try shoe horn their way into this latest defeat at the last minute?
    Us (now we're *shit* cooking with gas!) as members then need to pay more! Why? Because I think the definition of success in this situation is the maintenance of the status quo.

For the foreseeable future and a few generations we cannot expect an Arthurian victory over the forces of evil, Arthur himself was defeated. What we can do is keep it ticking, and what we can fight is maladministration. We have a set of laws on the books, right now as we speak and as I type and as you fall asleep reading this drivel, that says we get licences in 30 days, once we have proven we "need" a Type 56 for cardboard hunting, that really that 30-06 is actually far better for LOWveld kudu than the 308 I have for HIGHveld kudu and of course I need a FOURTH 9mm for Standard Highland games minor in the mist.

I shudder to think how many court cases we could have fought for the money paid out to suffer this latest ConCourt (Confidence Tricksters?) defeat. Could we (has that been defined yet?) have used the money to sue CFR on such a regular basis that heaven forbid they do their jobs? (Yes, I know its not their money) And what door has been opened to dear old AK and her lot?

We (last one I promise!) need some perspective, we (nope!) need some practical thinking and we (FFS!) need to make sure we(HA!) don't shoot ourselves in the foot going forward.

Rambling over.

CH
    Not a bad rambling at all.

We (lol) would do well in sitting back and taking a deep breath and think!

Banned

I think you've made some good points, And i agree with you about us being less restricted with regards to certain items compared to the rest of the world.
    For stuffs sake, look at the USA, 2nd amendment and all that, but they have to buy a IIRC $200 tax stamp to own a suppressor!
    We can just pop on to our nearest gun shop and buy one over the counter

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

Rambling over.

CH
    We (err "I") are grateful for the "ramble". Is this not just typical of the human condition....glass is generally always half empty.

What happened at the ConCourt is a set back (we lost some points and the other team scored) BUT we are still in the game and have to play until the final whistle!

I admit that I am one of those complainers about all things CFR even though "they" sent me notice last night that licenses for my two new "toys" have been approved...it took them TWO WHOLE MONTHS and that's just TOO LONG! Sigh....I suppose all that will make me happy is to be able to stroll into my local equivalent of "Walmart" and walk right out the shop with my goodies....

.....but lets just take a minute and think about your post and "our" situation. Is it smooth sailing and as efficient as can be? NO! But can we (sorry!) get pretty much what we (oh my!) want after some admin and hoops....well YES (except for my grenades to launch off my FN FAL...sigh!)

So where to from here....well lets use this "setback" to get focused. There is a possible amnesty coming up. Let's dust ourselves off and get ready. Lets also start thinking about how we can help out those of our friends who are in this pickle....should we perhaps not be engaging with CFR and the Minister to see if we can steer the course somewhat in our favour or at the very least ensure that its sort of fair?

I'm so bummed by all this that I need some retail therapy....anybody know where I can get a Steyr AUG...my AR+AK+MP5 are just not quite cutting it...LoL....wait this rant thing is rather contagious hey!

Onward and upward...always!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

I kinda enjoyed that rambling. We should take note, and focus.

User

Well written post Captain. I was thinking about your last paragraph yesterday as well. Is is possible to take the CFR to court for non-compliance to the FCA? Since the concourt has now confirmed that citizens are criminals for missing their deadline by one day, what does it say about the CFR if they cannot keep to the 4 month limit for competency applications? Since this was also a court ruling, can the CFR be held accountable and criminally charged? What about all the "lost" applications, surely that is a major non-compliance to the FCA that charges them with safe keeping of records?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

User

Brilliant post Hook.

User

Good post CH, lots to think of.

User

Reading a lot of the responses over the last few days I cannot help but feel that people don’t know what victory or defeat looks like. As soon as most of the dust settled everybody did what humans do best, point fingers. Now the weighing up starts as people try and make sense of defeat, looking at where they went wrong.

The problem with this is, first define if you went wrong, if you did something wrong. Start at the beginning, we now sit with a scenario where a law says if you missed a deadline of a license renewal you are in illegal possession of your own property. Or rather start at the real beginning, this government of ours is a corrupt, immoral and utterly poisonous entity. A government is suppose to serve its citizens, it’s not meant to be a tribe where you have a big chief that tells everybody what to do. How do you serve your citizens by always trying to take their stuff away?

The current status quo just cannot continue, this system cannot continue, the poison is not dripping from the FCA, it’s coming from government, they had every opportunity to accommodate people, but they simply don’t want to. Saying firearm ownership flourished under the FCA is true, but it’s exactly the same as saying anc comrades flourished, which they really did. It’s taking advantage of the current system as much as you can before it collapses, which is will, we in SA simply will not be able to take the tax strain indefinitely, after that it’s collapse and civil war.

So back to the biting off more than you can chew.
    Biting off more than you can chew implies to taking on something that is too much for you to handle. The problem with this is that it’s mostly hindsight, every piece of human development have come from biting off more than you can chew. A lion that takes down a zebra have a lot he can chew on, tomorrow that same lion gets a kick in the teeth and now what, did he take on more than he can chew? Nope, he did what needed done, nothing more, regardless of success and failure. Take for example someone that wants to start a new business, let’s say he borrowed a lot of money and makes a big success, nobody will say he bit off more than he can chew. In another reality he got into an accident, or his business was burned down by looters, or something similar where he was unable to succeed, did he bite off more than he could chew, nope.

So I see it this way, losing is the most natural thing in the world, but not standing up for what is right because of the fear of failure is a path to only one place. There is no use in saying you know the world is leaning in one direction so let’s just go with the flow, that also gets you dead. We are so brainwashed into believing governments in the world have our best intentions in mind that we just accept losses as our own fault and move on. It’s not, this government is still a useless corrupt and immoral entity, now also trying to take your private properties away, be it land or other possessions.

So I say hard luck for those who tried, don’t be disheartened, you did nothing wrong, you just lost this one.

User

Great post!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast