Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Glock Gen 3 v 4 v 5

I shot the Glock 17 Gen 5 next to the Gen 4 at GOSA's Firearms Festival and could really not "feel" sufficient difference to upgrade from my Gen 3 and Gen 4 17's. Feel, however, is subjective and one should really do a blinded experiment with identically set up Gen 4 and Gen 5's (which will be difficult to do because the grips differ).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Any mods to your trigger in the 19? Standard, their triggers differ quite a bit.
    Hi
    Both have 2.5kg connector and 25c trigger polish job.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    As I mentioned gen 5 fixed that. However the recoil spring guide part of the slide is not the meatiest on the gen 4. There are a number of pics on the web showing gen 4's with breakages in this area. The pics I have seen do not suggest that these occurred as a result of any abuse. Whatever the cause the fact remains that Glock saw fit to reinforce this area with the gen 5.
    That abuse may not be super obvious in the pics, but on every one of those I have ever seen broken, you could see where that had taken a blow. And i've seen it on more Gen2's and 3's than 4's persoanlly, but that could be because of a number of factors. Its still a rare occurrence.

While I was chasing kangaroos in Austria last week , this was a topic we discussed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    That abuse may not be super obvious in the pics, but on every one of those I have ever seen broken, you could see where that had taken a blow. And i've seen it on more Gen2's and 3's than 4's persoanlly, but that could be because of a number of factors. Its still a rare occurrence.

While I was chasing kangaroos in Austria last week , this was a topic we discussed.
    Is it a case of dissembled slide taking a knock ? Seems it needs to fall at a perfect angle to not hit the barrel first?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    Is it a case of dissembled slide taking a knock ? Seems it needs to fall at a perfect angle to not hit the barrel first?
    It can only damage the spring guide if you drop a a slide separated from the frame yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Appreciate your insight.

So moving on from the other thread I thought I would resurrect this one.

Not too many opinions expressed on Gen 5 over Gen 4, but here is my question, if you had to choose between the G17 Gen 4 or the G17 Gen 5 which would it be and why.

Is the barrel really better?

Here are a few things that I came across on the Gen 5 on my search (I have yet to actually handle or fire a Gen 5 but plan to do so).
    - In the earlier Gen 5's there were no front serrations, which apparently has been corrected in the newer releases.
    - On the magwell there is a semi-circle cut out on the front, apparently this can pinch if your finger happens to be in the cut-out, but apparently they have also rectified this in subsequent releases.
    - Will the Gen 5 work in a Micro Roni, because I think it will see quite a bit of time in one.
    - And the biggie for me, there are no finger grooves, I like the finger grooves as I have smaller hands and they fit me perfectly. Wonder how it will feel without them, if the grip will be as firm.

User

The Gen 5 trigger is worth the price of admission!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

The polymer used in the gen 4 is inferior to the polymer used in the gen 5.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    The polymer used in the gen 4 is inferior to the polymer used in the gen 5.
    Intrigued: how can you tell?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast