Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: A Call to All to Chill out a Bietjie

Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    I was, as always, completely unarmed. With the small exception of a tiny number of firearms, one of which was in my lap, and an assortment of fighting knives, batons, tonfas and other offensive nasties on my body and in the car.
    All of which I am mildly proficient, slightly trained and humorously experienced with.
    I also (and this is funny) had 10 yards of industrial plastic sheeting, a bucket full of rags and a bag full of cleaning chemicals in the back (I was going to spring-clean the workshop today), and the numbers of any number of lawyers,pig farmers and assorted gardeners on my speed dial.
    You make it sound like CeraKote is just a hobby of yours.

User

Great story.

Have you thought about posting it on facebook (with a bit of editing for the broader audience)? It might even reach her.......... :-)

User

Good read and thanks for posting Piet. Interestingly enough I had my own ‘parking rage’ incident yesterday. Stopped by my local butcher and as I pulled out a car guard assisted in their usual way to help clients pull out of the parking bays. I gave him a tip and as I was beginning to move forward out comes a second one (this one more informal and without any signage; whatever that’s worth) and parks himself right up against the front bumper of my cruiser. Not sure what he thought that he would be invincible to a 3 ˝ ton piece of Japanese steel, but there he was. I could not quite make out what he was saying but it sounded a lot like JouMaSeP and then the fingers started working their vulgarities.

So now this guy was essentially blocking my way. I kept my cool and looked around to see if there’s anybody else in cahoots with this dude. It was quite apparent that he somehow must have seen me as his ‘client’ and by handing money over to his colleague he got upset. Apart from some other goodies I have a very large bowie knife in easy reach and took it out, making sure it was visually appealing. As the guy cleared my way I then took a nice piece of biltong out and proceeded to cut off a large chunk. I called him back and gave him the piece. His ‘white eyes’ turned to thanks and a big smile transformed the previous frown.

User

Great Story. Well done for keeping your cool.

User

Good read, enjoyed that :) "Fattish pepperpot" Lol.Definitely getting a dashcam.

User

Getting a gun has made me a much more responsible driver. I simply can't afford an incident where (a) I might lose my license and (b) I might lose my liberty if a scuffle became a shooting. I simply ignore other drivers that are triggered, no gestures or swearing. My GF still loses it though. I've told her over and over that there are all manner of psychos in SA and that she needs to be careful. I wish the words would sink in.

User

Nice post. Difficult to keep calm and ignore the provocation but you end up the better person for it. What aggravates the situation is that the aggressor often has so much anger bottled up from other transactions in their life that the rage has very little to do with the incident (often negligible) which triggered it. It makes it easier if you realise that the anger is more a reflection of their shit lives rather than anything to do with you and move straight along without engaging at all, irrespective of the provocation.

My mom always told us, never wrestle with pigs, they enjoy it and you just end up dirty.

User

It's amazing how ignorant people are nowadays. I was stopping at the Fourways Builders Warehouse this week. This is like 8 o'clock in the morning the parking lot not nearly as full as later in the day, here was a lady sitting in her Jeep, in the middle of the driving lane, having a fat conversation on her cell phone. It was between two vehicles parked on either side so nobody can get in or out. I hooted at her and showing her I want to pass, same thing – I got the middle finger and the F and P words were shouted at me. How dare I hoot at her while she's having a conversation on her cell phone behind the wheel of her jeep parked in the middle of the road with a running engine! She took a time to move out of the way and I could hear her still screaming and shouting and swearing at me as I walked into the store after parking.
    I guess you just have to make peace with it that the world revolves around some people.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post
    My GF still loses it though.
    Do you live in Centurion?

Thanks Piet this is a very well written essay on road rage de-escalation. At times it is very difficult to keep the calm, after a tough day of work, bad news, GFSA and 4 idiot drivers on the way home and no law enforcement on the roads. Being armed our responsibility to de-escalate is so much bigger. I have to constantly remind myself "bullets are expensive, bullets are expensive" and not worth wasting on these half formed chromosomes of the gene pool.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Do you live in Centurion?

Thanks Piet this is a very well written essay on road rage de-escalation. At times it is very difficult to keep the calm, after a tough day of work, bad news, GFSA and 4 idiot drivers on the way home and no law enforcement on the roads. Being armed our responsibility to de-escalate is so much bigger. I have to constantly remind myself "bullets are expensive, bullets are expensive" and not worth wasting on these half formed chromosomes of the gene pool.
    "Bullets are expensive" Brilliant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast