Default Guard Monitoring System on Farm

A friend of mine lives in a remote part of Zambia and he has trouble keeping his security guards to their regular patrol route.

Security companies and shopping centers use systems that require guards to tag in and tag out of fixed stations to make sure they're sticking to their 'beat' and regular times.

Has anyone tried this on a farm or remote area where wifi and cellular are a bit patchy but where a basic system has worked well for random checks and management?

User

Default Re: Guard Monitoring System on Farm

Most places uses GuardTrack, its an offline system where you download the data after the shift to see what route the guard followed.

User

Just keep in mind that if the guards are forced to a strict routine, anyone watching them will quickly note the routine and just act accordingly. Farms are usually watched for at least 2 weeks before an attack. You also expose yourself to great risks by employing hired guards. These are always easily bribed or intimidated. Your friend would be better off with security systems that are controlled by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by joeman View Post
    Most places uses GuardTrack, its an offline system where you download the data after the shift to see what route the guard followed.
    Thanks Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Just keep in mind that if the guards are forced to a strict routine, anyone watching them will quickly note the routine and just act accordingly. Farms are usually watched for at least 2 weeks before an attack. You also expose yourself to great risks by employing hired guards. These are always easily bribed or intimidated. Your friend would be better off with security systems that are controlled by himself.
    Very good points AR. Seems the guards have other functions on the farm and they rotate to keep an eye on things. The biggest problem is the guards sleeping.

I’ll chat to my friend. I think some of what our farmers have learnt here would be very useful.

Very good points AR. Seems the guards have other functions on the farm and they rotate to keep an eye on things. The biggest problem is the guards sleeping.

I’ll chat to my friend. I think some of what our farmers have learnt here would be very useful.

User

What we were doing on the farm in Mpumalanga, and what many of the farmers are doing in the area, is hiring guards from Kimberly. The guys come down with their whole family, for 6 or 12 month contracts. They keep very much to themselves and have a pretty solid work ethic in terms of not sleeping on the job.
    We used one of those baton systems where you put up the little disks as checkpoints and download from the baton. Was a product from Uniclox.
    Would have a whole stack of different orders of check ins, and the guard would get a different on each night to attempt to randomize it. It does not replace your other means of security, and they are not armed. It merely adds another set of eyes in the night.