Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Help With Biltong Drying

How do you manage flys etc. on the meat? Also have Durban humidity here which I'm struggling with - any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Where are you located?
    I am in Centurion. My garage het nie plafonne nie. Stof is dus n probleem. Ken julle enige slaghuise wat vir n ou sal droog?

I attached some rawl bolts (with the hook) into the side walls of my garage. Bought some plastic covered steel cable and strung it from one end to the other end of the garage. To keep it from sagging as a result of the weight of the raw meat I attached a few lengths of thin round bar to the rafters to hook the cable. I have two swing type fans standing at the front and the back of the garage to provide some airing of the meat The wind keeps the flies away If you have a problem with humidity place two fan type heaters in the garage as well
    Keep your cars outside until the meat does not drip any more

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsbok1 View Post
    I am in Centurion. My garage het nie plafonne nie. Stof is dus n probleem. Ken julle enige slaghuise wat vir n ou sal droog?
    Wierdapark Slaghuis? They’ve dried some of mine before when a sudden wet spell caught me unawares.

User

if your meat has enough vinegar and salt, and you have the fans running, the flies stay away. However, you WILL always have the odd brommer that defies your best attempts... but I have never lost any meat as a result...

User

Ah Durban, the fan is your friend, or an air con room with a fan.

Add some salt peter to the mix to prevent it getting mould.

User

I use 50x50 weldmesh nailed to the rafters(no cieling) prevents sagging and biltong touching, this setup is also perfect for chilli bites, hang them using paper clips

Next batch drywors. Fan has been running non stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

The fans keeps the flies from landing on the meat was the rumour I heard. When staying in a flat I used to hang my biltong under my bed. LoL. If you are scared of dust you can always throw a sheet over your hanging rack. A friend of mine used a old wire car gate and you can hang a lot of meat on it. My droee wors I hanged over my tent poles (just put cling wrap over the pipes as the wors attack the galvanizing and it stick to the pipes.)

User

I used to string up old security gates to hang from. Also worked well. My old place I strung up low-stretch rope and worked some magic to get them really tight. Also worked well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2