Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Storing a Rifle in the Correct Manner

Standing a rifle on the muzzle is a good idea for various reasons. However, you should not ever put enough oil in the barrel so that it can run anywhere. Wipe it with a lightly oiled patch and it should be good for years.

Most barrel crown a recessed a little. If you are not standing it in the sand, the crown should not be affected.

Silenced rifles, and especially silenced rimfire rifles tend to accumulate a lot of dirt in the can. This could fall down the barrel if stored butt down.

Storing a rifle with all springes relaxed is a good idea. Be sure to relax the springs safely.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Standing a rifle on the muzzle is a good idea for various reasons. However, you should not ever put enough oil in the barrel so that it can run anywhere. Wipe it with a lightly oiled patch and it should be good for years.

Most barrel crown a recessed a little. If you are not standing it in the sand, the crown should not be affected.

Silenced rifles, and especially silenced rimfire rifles tend to accumulate a lot of dirt in the can. This could fall down the barrel if stored butt down.

Storing a rifle with all springes relaxed is a good idea. Be sure to relax the springs safely.
    Makes sense regarding suppressors. Why particularly rimfire ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Makes sense regarding suppressors. Why particularly rimfire ?
    Rimfires are VERY dirty. They leave much more loose residue than any centrefire.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Rimfires are VERY dirty. They leave much more loose residue than any centrefire.
    Got it. Thanks.

User

I recently put a slip on silencer on my Brno model 2 and stored it butt down. What a pain, the dirt got into the mag well and mags wouldn't seat properly, it interfered with the bolt where it wouldn't strike the round hard enough to fire and then the bolt wouldn't cock on opening. Very frustrating when trying to get a job done.

The only other advice that I can add ( I have been doing this for years if the rifles are not going to be used for a few weeks) is to wipe the metal and sometimes even the wood with a light coat of Dubbin before putting them into the bags and into the safe.

I assume never store in bag...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heino13 View Post
    I assume never store in bag...
    A breathable bag like canvass is good for storage, as long as it is dry.

Leather or other waterproof bags are risky as they may trap some atmospheric moisture that could cause rust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2