Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kamaste

Default Re: Kamaste

Some people can make jeans work. A friend of mine did a 4-day hike, in summer, wearing jeans. He says he’ll do it again.

I simply can’t, I find jeans incredibly uncomfortable. Perhaps because I’ve never bought a good quality jean, but I’m at the point where I probably won’t buy jeans again.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    I hunt in jeans, regular cut, not skinny, I just let the pants leg hang over the tops of my hunting boots and it keeps steekgras out of my socks and laces.
    And when you are not hunting, do you...........tuck your pants into your boots?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Well, depends if he has pants on when not hunting. Or boots, for that matter.

User

I see no need to wear hunting boots...........when I'm not hunting;)

User

Long pants works good up to a certain point.

The problem is when walking in the veld you are normally fine. In veld where there are lots of steekgras this doesn’t last as sooner or later stuff gets in between your boots and pants. Secondly in certain terrain you need to do a lot of lurking, when this happens you pull your pants higher, many times higher than the boots, problem, this also happens when sitting.Thirdly I very seldom hunt with long pants in the thickets, because when you are wearing strong stuff like jeans you tend to muscle your way through, with shorts and thorny trees you tend to mind the terrain, move slower, and make far less noise.

Having spent my whole life doing trial and error in this regard, I can tell you straight summer or winter the gaiters gets put on now. As for steekgras, there are worse things out there.

This is of course if you are a hunter, or someone that works in the veld, then you have a choice.
    If you hunt from a vehicle you have no choice, you must wear full camo and every single piece of clothing associated with hunting, mandatory.

User

You do get snake gaiters from Johan Marais' Snake Bite Institute, not sure how comfortable they would be for long walks and hunting.

I use the short leather ones, they work well to keep grass out even help to reduce ticks. I wear longs, never jeans and never skinny, low, or sexy cuts ;-) Just normal khaki pants no camo. The gaiters are long enough to keep the pants tucked in.

I been using a pair of Rocky long gaiters for the last couple of hunts because of steekgras and they are working surprisingly well. Not noisy and liberally sprayed with Bayticol I haven't hand any tick issues.

I haven't seen the ASI snake gaiters but could be worth it. On our last hunt, 1 of our gang stood on an Mfezi while walking to his room during the day and nearly did it twice the next morning in almost the same spot...

As for fly fishing for yelllows at Sterkies I think its probably prudent also...

User

This is of course if you are a hunter, or someone that works in the veld, then you have a choice.
    If you hunt from a vehicle you have no choice, you must wear full camo and every single piece of clothing associated with hunting, mandatory.
    You mean "shoot" surely?

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    You mean "shoot" surely?
    Think Messor was being a little tongue in cheek...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2