Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default co2 pistols being sold as "effective" self-defence products

I've noticed a growing number of sellers marketing co2 pistols as self-defence hardware, with carry holsters, high velocity pellets etc under the supposition that this provides a valid means of protection. Personally, I regard this as an EXTREMELY dangerous trend, since pulling one of these devices would no doubt escalate the situation beyond the capacity of the "gun". I can see how it might be comforting to have something that possesses the massive intimidation value of a firearm and with which you could "sort of shoot someone". The relative difficulty in obtaining firearms permits might have something to do with the desire for an "alternative". Dealers also refer to the inherent dangerousness of co2 pistols and occassionally whip out a newspaper clipping of "man killed by pellet gun" to try and gain credence, however some degree of dangerousness in no way accords with the requirements for effective and reliable self defence. If you fancied that you could pop someone in the eye with one of these, then surely pepper spray is your better option? What do other members think?

Default Re: co2 pistols being sold as "effective" self-defence products

I think it is a combination of insanity and profit motive playing to the fears of citizens who should be able to buy...mostly at least... what they want / need for self protection. A pellet gun will likely piss off the bad guy but apparently vendors are not telling the whole story?

OK...I will agree that anything above, say. belt fed 7.62X51 should be 'registered' but not necessarily prohibited. Just pay a tax, pass a test, and let it ride. ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Agreed here, its just asking for trouble. I'd rather have a dealer recommend me a revolver than a co2 gun. ;D

Less lethal means less lethal, nothing else.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Agreed here, its just asking for trouble. I'd rather have a dealer recommend me a revolver than a co2 gun. ;D

Craig;

You would be surprised at what some of us old timers can do with a wheelgun..don't ever discount them.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig

Craig;

You would be surprised at what some of us old timers can do with a wheelgun..don't ever discount them.
    I just had too, that statement has soo much history here. ;D
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Sounds like a pretty "effective" way of getting yourself killed.

Sounds like a hangover from the days when people bought dinky-doo little .25's because they didn't want to kill anybody, they just wanted to teach them a jolly good lesson

I had a little side line operation a while back and I sold those co2 pistols. I stocked them not all with the intend to sell them as self defence tools but to sell them for what they are....recreational toy's. However you would be amazed on how many people bought for Self Defence. I would say about a third of those sales was for Self Defence. Yes I was in it to make a profit but also acted responsible. I never advised anyone that it was a good option for Self Defence and I had my piece of timber with some test fire shots to show people what the capability (very low) was of these co2 pistols but yet the people would go and buy it for Self Defence. Yes, there is a newspaper report floating around indicating that someone was killed with such a pistol and yes they are dangerous and can inflict serious harm and death (although very unlikely to cause death) but they are not Self Defence tools...they are recreational toy's that are dangerous if proper care in application is not adhered to.

A lot of the comments from these clients were that they do not want to kill the attacker but only want to hurt and / or scare him and with some of them adding that should it be taken from them, it could not be seriously used against them due to the low lethal levels of these products. The further understanding that I got was that in general these people also did not understand that the pointing of a toy gun could get you into serious trouble.

Yes, I sold these co2 pistols but I made a serious attempt to make these people understand what they are buying and the limitations of the product. Yes I would loose sales on occasions as after explaining the full story and that was fine with me but my take is also that I acted responsible in explaining what the limitations are and it the person then still want to buy it, I would sell it. It is not my responsibility to stop the person but it is my responsibility to inform the person and if I did not sell it, the person would just go and buy it elsewhere where he is not informed properly in any case.

These little c02 pistols are great fun and a nice toy and I had one return from a client regarding them 'underperforming' as I made sure that the client understood the capability of the product which is very low and do not even think that you will achieve the claimed velocities on the box.

Hey Corne, there is no cure for terminal stupidity ......... but at least you tried...... happy0065

True, very true.....If they do not want to listen the best you can do is relieve them of their cash.... grn1

User

i use 1 to shoot rats inside the house and to shoot troubelmakers in the night. I wouldnt do this whith my air rifel. Yes i know it is illegel but no kirigamba who is trying to steal tools wil lay a complaint. I use holowpoint pelets toe impair penetration. But to use it as a self defence tool is to say it lightly like hunting lion whith a .22 short that has a faulty extractor. Suicide!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast