Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

User

Default Re: GFSA on Daily Maverick

So much nonsense in that article it’s not even a joke.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
    So much nonsense in that article it’s not even a joke.
    Daily Maverick usually has a nice feature they call "Right to Reply", and hopefully someone more eloquent in writing can write a properly formulated response (where is Gideon / Paul?)..

User

Daily Maverick has posted a lot of anti gun stuff.

User

Every single comment on their FB page regarding this article is pro-gun.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=171090380838

When DM disabled their forums they lost a massive amount of credibility. IMO it is a pay-to-play article.

User

One thing that always grinds my gears, is that they always mention GUN deaths. Every time someone debates them, this point should be hammered. Why is being killed by a gun so much worse than being stabbed or beaten to death? Me personally, I would much rather take a bullet to the head than several pokes with 'n stabby thing, or blows with a hitty thing, if I really have to die a violent death. A quick google, tells me that there are 52 murders per day in SA. And according to GFSA's twitter, 18 of them are with guns, which means that ~35% of murders are with guns. So what about the other 65%? Also does it really matter if GUN crime goes down, but total crime does not? If more restrictive gun laws does not reduce crime (and I am sure it doesn't, I just don't have the facts to back it up atm) should we not then rather spend our time and energy on doing something that DOES reduce crime?

User

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    One thing that always grinds my gears, is that they always mention GUN deaths. Every time someone debates them, this point should be hammered. Why is being killed by a gun so much worse than being stabbed or beaten to death? Me personally, I would much rather take a bullet to the head than several pokes with 'n stabby thing, or blows with a hitty thing, if I really have to die a violent death. A quick google, tells me that there are 52 murders per day in SA. And according to GFSA's twitter, 18 of them are with guns, which means that ~35% of murders are with guns. So what about the other 65%? Also does it really matter if GUN crime goes down, but total crime does not? If more restrictive gun laws does not reduce crime (and I am sure it doesn't, I just don't have the facts to back it up atm) should we not then rather spend our time and energy on doing something that DOES reduce crime?
    A colleague of mine was stabbed to death a couple of years ago. It wasn't pretty. It really is a terrible way to die. Not to say that others are better...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

User

Their mandate is guns, they don't give two hoots about anything else. Bigger picture, more harm than good.. none of that.

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post

There is no correlation between the number of guns in a society and the number of murders committed using a gun. Take USA. a conservative estimate is 350 million guns. I.e. one gun per person in the USA (estimated population of 350 million) yet they only have about 8000 murders per year where a gun was used. Gun deaths are 30 000 of which 65% are suicides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast