Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Revolver primer strike issue

Hello everyone. I have a Taurus Model 85 snubbies that I bought second hand (got license about 2 years ago).I have an issue with it that started recently. I pulled the trigger, it went click and nothing happened. It has happened on two separate occasions. I don't know much on the technical side of guns but after inspecting the primer the firing pin hit off centre and it also looked less deep than fired cases. I'm not sure if one of these is the cause or a combination of both. I would like to get it checked out by a gunsmith. I have done a search and seen a few recommendations (Accurate arms, Arms CC, MRST, Numenor). I want to know if any of them would be a better choice for work on a revolver.

User

Default Re: Revolver primer strike issue

Ritchie Gunsmith in Florida,

I had that and others issues with mine, installed a longer hammer spring that sorted it out.

User

Is this happening with factory or reloaded ammo?
    Might simply be a hard primer issue.

Test with a trusted factory brand like S&B.

User

Not sure if the Taurus is like the Smiths, but I had a similar issue recently and it turned out to be the main spring tension screw that had backed out a bit.

Added some Locktite, tightened it up and most recently shot 2 days of a Super League with not one issue

Quote Originally Posted by MoeHS1 View Post
    I don't know much on the technical side of guns but after inspecting the primer the firing pin hit off centre and it also looked less deep than fired cases.
    It could be that your revolvers yoke or crane is out of proper alignment.

Do not compare light strike firing pin indentations with those from rounds that fired. When a round goes off the case sets back against the breech face, and the firing pin/hammer nose gets rammed further into the cap. Slightly off centre strikes are common with revolvers, unless they have a frame mounted striker; this is normal and not a problem. However, if seriously off centre then the round will not fire. Sometimes a second go works. Also single action hits the cap harder than does double action and can work when the latter does not.

Does the cylinder lock up before the hammer falls? Of course the first thing to do is give everything a good clean and lubrication.

You are in Pretoria so MRST would be a good start for a gunsmith.

Peter

User

Agree with Peter here.

The mod 85 has a frame-mounted firing pin. It could be gummed up or dirty, limiting it's travel.

If the cylinder does not lock up occasionally, you will have issues. This is usually easily fixed by a 'smith.

The mod 85 uses a coiled mainspring, unlike the leaf spring on a Smith. It can be tensioned by inserting a spacer under the spring.

Let a 'smith who is familiar with revolvers check it out. A proper cleaning of the internals is advised too.

Also check the ammo. If the primers are not bottomed properly in the primer pocket, the first strike will seat it and the second will then fire it. PMP primers are somewhat harder than most, so ignition may be erratic.

User

Thanks for all the advice. Both times it happened was with Diplopoint reloads. Cylinder locks up every time. I've never noticed it being loose. I will also take a look at the rounds I have left from that box to check how the primers were seated.

User

If you revolver will reliably ignite PMP ammo you can disregard the gun as an issue.

Seeing that it's diplopoint ammo I wouldn't be surprised if those primers are dead as door nails.

Surely nobody uses the hard PMP caps in double action revolver?! Most of us in the Pretoria Revolver Club use S&B with no problems.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast