Default Vortex Viper HST vs PST (Gen 1 &2)

Hi all

Would like to get inputs and expertise about the vortex viper range from a users perspectives (and not just the online sales pitch).

I'm specifically contemplating the HST and PST ranges. Now with the gen 2 available and getting such good reviews I cant decide if its worth forking out the extra bucks?

I do about 50/50 hunting and target shooting and I've set my target on actively participating in shooting comps from September onwards.

Ranges vary from 100m to 1000m.

Q1: Is the HST and its turrets reliable enough to use?

Q2: Is there a huge diff between the HST and PST, both physically (build) and also in practicality?

Q3: Is the Gen 2 PST just better, full stop?

Looking forward to your inputs!

User

Default Re: Vortex Viper HST vs PST (Gen 1 &2)

A1. I have no experience in the HST, but I expect the turrets to be precise and repeatable. If they are not, return the scope.

A2. With scopes your basically get what you pay for, especially if they are from the same maker. In terms of practicality, you should choose the features that fit your application and preferences. Things like FFP vs. SFP and MOA vs. MRAD are mostly very important to users.

A3. Yes, it is in various ways. Not that the gen 1 is bad in my book, but the gen 2 is better. If your budget can go there, seriously consider it.

Any of these scopes are a waste of money at 100 or even 200m. Out past 500m they start to shine. There are better scopes available for LR shooting, but at "better" prices too. I consider the PST's to be decent value for money. And they have the best warranty out there, should anything go wrong.

User

I have gen 1 PST and a HS. Mate of mine has a gen 2 PST.

I prefer the reticle of the Gen 2, turrets a bit nicer too and zero stop is an upgrade on the Gen 1. My Gen 1 has served me well, not going to change anytime soon.

I can't tell the difference in terms of image quality between the Gen 1 and 2, both to me are better than the HS.

If I had to buy new and price difference wasn't an issue, PST gen 2. Otherwise second hand gen 1.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

I also have the HS and HS-LR.

The exposed turrets are a big selling point for myself, but they have become pretty much the standard nowadays.

As Im getting into the shooting a bit more and more, I've realised that my approach in buying a bit better and better each time probably costs me more eventually. Even though i have no issue with second hand... Hence I'm contemplating the jump up to something "proper".

Since the first post, Ive been researching and checking reviews on all. Liking the FFP option in the PST so far. Plus the look of the scope!

Will have to wait for someone to part with their PST and make the jump.

Thanks for your inputs.

User

Exposed turrets are nice and fast in use. Just remember, they are easily bumped. I recently missed a shot at acrop-raiding baboon due to my windage turret having been moved a few clicks. I should have checked, but the exitement got the better of me...