Thread: Free State Hunt

Default Free State Hunt

I booked a RHB with my uncle last year who farms close to Frankfort, Free State. The farm is a working farm with game, and the farm is the shape of a horse shoe with 2/3 of the farm boundary being the willgeriver.

The farm has a few koppies and a number of trees which make walk-stalk possible. My wife and I arrived early Friday afternoon and I proceeded to sight my rifle in at 200m while we waited for my cousin to arrive. The wind was realy blowing which I thought may cause complications.

We left the house at 15:00 and drove to the kopie area where 4 RHB cows and the bull was seen the morning. We left the bakkie down wind and started walking slowly through the few trees that grew in the erosion furrows.

We spotted a single RHB cow standing in tall grass close to some trees. We stalked closer by using an erosion furrow which is 1,8m deep and overgrown with smaller trees.

We got within 90m of the cow but could not see any of the other animals. Initially we thought she was alone and the other animals were further away. Upon closer inspection we saw the tip of a horn sticking out of the grass close to her. The animals were bedded down due to the wind and the cow was standing guard.

I told my cousin that I would move down the furrow where I could get a good rest on a tree, and at my signal he should move a little higher that the cow could see him. The idea was that she would notice him and the animals would stand to give me an opportunity for a shot.

I managed to find a nice thick tree that was not affected by the wind and took aim. I had to factor in to aim low due to the distance of the animals. I gave the signal and my cousin moved a little higher up the furrow when the cow noticed him. She gave a snort, and suddenly there were 5 RHB standing with the bull being second to the left. The shot hit the bull just behind the ear.

The animal dressed out 80kg.

The bullet did not pass through and broke up on the vertebrae.

We ended the weekend hunt with some good wing shooting on Saturday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Free State Hunt

Congratulations! Dreams are made from weekends like this.

User

Awesome write-up. Thanks for sharing (and congrats on a few good hunts!)

User

Nice! Thanks.

Well done

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    I booked a RHB with my uncle last year who farms close to Frankfort, Free State. The farm is a working farm with game, and the farm is the shape of a horse shoe with 2/3 of the farm boundary being the willgeriver.

The farm has a few koppies and a number of trees which make walk-stalk possible. My wife and I arrived early Friday afternoon and I proceeded to sight my rifle in at 200m while we waited for my cousin to arrive. The wind was realy blowing which I thought may cause complications.

We left the house at 15:00 and drove to the kopie area where 4 RHB cows and the bull was seen the morning. We left the bakkie down wind and started walking slowly through the few trees that grew in the erosion furrows.

We spotted a single RHB cow standing in tall grass close to some trees. We stalked closer by using an erosion furrow which is 1,8m deep and overgrown with smaller trees.

We got within 90m of the cow but could not see any of the other animals. Initially we thought she was alone and the other animals were further away. Upon closer inspection we saw the tip of a horn sticking out of the grass close to her. The animals were bedded down due to the wind and the cow was standing guard.

I told my cousin that I would move down the furrow where I could get a good rest on a tree, and at my signal he should move a little higher that the cow could see him. The idea was that she would notice him and the animals would stand to give me an opportunity for a shot.

I managed to find a nice thick tree that was not affected by the wind and took aim. I had to factor in to aim low due to the distance of the animals. I gave the signal and my cousin moved a little higher up the furrow when the cow noticed him. She gave a snort, and suddenly there were 5 RHB standing with the bull being second to the left. The shot hit the bull just behind the ear.

The animal dressed out 80kg.

The bullet did not pass through and broke up on the vertebrae.

We ended the weekend hunt with some good wing shooting on Saturday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Classic pic of you lab. Great stuff.

User

Congradulations. Looks and sounds like a great hunt

Thanks for sharing. Nice.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........