my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default ANGOLA - THE WAR Peter Lamberti

ANGOLA - THE WAR produced by ex-South African Special Forces Operator [Recce] Peter Lamberti.
    A faraway war… A clash of ideologies… And some of the biggest battles fought on African soil since World War Two.

For twenty-three years, five western nations, members of the Soviet bloc and two superpowers were locked into a war never formally declared. The South African Defence Force (SADF) and CIA backed UNITA pitted against communist Angolans, SWAPO, Cubans, and Russians.

It all began in 1966. Once the Draft started, every able-bodied white South African male was called up for service; they were joined by the feared and famed 32 Battalion, composed mainly of black FNLA veterans. They were forced to adapt, both physically and emotionally.

This was the Cold War played out on a third-world battleground. Where the skies of Angola were once the most hostile airspace in the world and the Rules of engagement in this war were murky, complicated and secretive and who won it, remains fiercely contested even to this day. But a hard-won peace was eventually victorious.

This is the story of the violent journey to get there. Many lost their lives and the emotional scars and lasting vivid memories remain.
    https://vimeo.com/ondemand/angolathewar
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Default Re: ANGOLA - THE WAR Peter Lamberti

Last edited by KK20; 11-07-2018 at 19:26.

User

Worth buying.

Aside from Grensoorlog - this is the best English speaking, factually accurate (as far as I can tell) and comprehensive documentary on the war that I've seen. The conclusion is ... well, it'd be nice if it were true. The war is not over either.

It's simply transformed into a war of ideas.

User

User

Is there a way for international orders?

User

KK20, you da man!

User

Going to watch this for sure, for the last year or so, the border war has really interested me a lot.

Read "Grensoorlog" Leopold Scholtz and now an older one "Suid Afrika se Grens Oorlog" - Willem Steenkamp.

Also no one believes me when I tell them that I was at Omega Base, think it was 201 Bat. when I was 2 or 3 years old, it was somewhere around '80 - '81 for a wedding, we got flown it with a flossie. Not sure if me telling this will get anyone in trouble. But I sooo wish I could remember more of it. Remember what the flossie smelled like, that it was dark, remember us riding in a Buffel and that there was an ostrich that would apparently eat anything you gave it....obviously just a shit story for the kids.....but that is all I remember.

User

Had some friends who spent few years as kids growing up near the operational area. Told me about going to school in a CASSPIR. It certainly was a different time.