Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Weird flyers

User

Default Re: Weird flyers

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    If you scale a 140 gr higish BC .264 bullet to .277, I would bet you would get close to 150 gr (maybe a bit over). And a 140 gr .264 does not stabiliz in a 10" twist. 10" twist .270 Win rifles were made for 130 gr bullets.

There is no chance of the bullet being unstable, it might be marginally stable in the OP's configuration but that is that.
    Marginally stabilized would only lead to a compromised BC, not the results we have seen here.
    Surprisingly the BC of the 150gr SST is rather good, at .525, which is more than that of a 180gr SST in 308, so even if you compromise it then it is still high.

Perhaps this is the perfect bullet to do a bit of lands chasing if you suspect the barrel is a bit worn, because you can seat longer but still retain enough neck tension.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Plattelandseun View Post
    Thanks, I will do. I will also let you know if and when I find the problem...
    Yes, please do feed back to all of us here

(I have been reading this with some interest and again marvel at the willingness of fellow GS members to help out... well done guys!!)

I've had the exact same problem on my 30-06, first 3 shots decent grouping, 4th shot 2" out, 5th not even on the paper, wait 10minutes and exactly the same, first 3 decent, 4th 3" out, 5th off the paper. Long story short, replaced the scope and my rifle is solid again. If someone can explain why and how the old scope did this it would settle that ghost. Good luck I have wasted a lot of ammo and time and know how frustrating it can be

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by William.kriel View Post
    I've had the exact same problem on my 30-06, first 3 shots decent grouping, 4th shot 2" out, 5th not even on the paper, wait 10minutes and exactly the same, first 3 decent, 4th 3" out, 5th off the paper. Long story short, replaced the scope and my rifle is solid again. If someone can explain why and how the old scope did this it would settle that ghost. Good luck I have wasted a lot of ammo and time and know how frustrating it can be
    Something was loose inside the telescope.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Something was loose inside the telescope.
    I think if that was the case, it would have been all over the place from the first shot and would not have become progressively worse.

My theory is that the cope rings were not lapped properly, so the scope was under a bit of tension, that got worse as the gun got hotter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    I think if that was the case, it would have been all over the place from the first shot and would not have become progressively worse.

My theory is that the cope rings were not lapped properly, so the scope was under a bit of tension, that got worse as the gun got hotter.
    The rings are normally mounted on the action, which does not really get hot when shooting, especially on a bolt action hunting rifle. And even if it does pick up a few degress, I can not see how it can place much tension on the scope.

If the rings are not lapped or properly anigned, they will dent or bend the scope tube, causing a change in internal tollerances and possibly cause accuracy issues. I can not see how this will change to any significant level with a change in temperature of the action. The amount of possible movement from this is minute.

What does give problems when a gun is heating up, is the heat waves going upwards and disturbing the line of sight. This is especially significant and visible when using a supressor.

User

I hear what you are saying... But my theory is not impossible... Although maybe improbable I will admit. Another theory of mine is that some of the screws on the stock were maybe over tightened, or maybe not tightened enough, causing the stock to touch the barrel when the gun got hot. That of course assumes that the stock was removed for some reason to fit the new scope.

I am just spitballing here... Its just that heat, in my opinion, had something to do with it, which would not have anything to do with something loose in the scope itself

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5