Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Hunting crossbow

@brick.wall I hear where you coming from. I would love to try hunting with a crossbow. Most people I spoke to couldn't provide me with helpful info or advice. I don't think there are very many people hunting with them.

They say it's a novelty that will wear off. I say it's an experience...

You will know the path by actually travelling on the path 😉

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I once went to Bellville Archery club in CPT. They have 2 people running the club.
    One does Recurve and one compound.

They said that people who buy Recurve will shoot archery way longer than a person buying a compound.
    As Recurve takes more skill and training and technique then a compound.

Compound is far easier to master or shoot consistent. Thats why they say a Compound archer might do sport not even for a year and give it up.
    And this can be seen by the amount of them regularly for sale as well over Recurve target bows.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Here you go.

Are crossbows more powerful than compound bows?

Compound Bows typically have draw weights less than one half of a crossbow. A 70 # compound bow is faster and has more energy than150# crossbow. ... Crossbows have a much higher draw weight (150# is average) to generate the speed and energy due to the much shorter power stroke (14” is average) of a crossbow.

And

https://science.howstuffworks.com/crossbow2.htm
    Yah nah if you compare old models perhaps. Newer crossbows, the compound stands no chance , with crossbow speeds closer to 400 and 420fps.... FAST compound would be around 360fps BUT keep in mind the advertised bow speeds are usually at 30” draw and a 350gr arrow. (Ibo spec). Most arrow setups are much heavier.
    secondly, put a decent crossbow in the average guys hands. Hitting a 6” plate at 100m is doable. Try the same with the average archer and a compound. I guarantee you the average guy will struggle.

To answer the OP, I have hunted with a crossbow. Definitely easier than a compound, great if you can’t shoot a bow. Also great for older gents or kids from a hide. But walking with one can get tiring. I suggest decent broadheads to prevent failure.

How much do you all think the strings matter in bow hunting?

For example, I see a lot of people who love these guys: https://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

But others say they are overpriced. Better recommendations for someone just starting out?

Also, what's everyone's view on crossbows? I've heard people say that's "cheating," because a lot of people put red dots on them, or high-end sights, etc.

This feels like a lot to learn. I have almost every rifle imaginable, which is a lot of information storage on the brain. Not sure if I should be flexing some new brain muscles or not!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2