Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 110 gr hornedy vmax for hunting [308]

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The 110gn V-max may be suitable for head shots. What it may struggle with is BRAIN shots, depending on the species and shot angle. Some species have quite a bit of bone and tissue in front of the brain that may be too much for this very fragile bullet to penetrate, leaving you with badly a wounded but very mobile animal.
    Nah, I‘ve seen just about every single antelope we have in SA culled with a 222, no problem at all.
    I have however seen a 22-250AI fail miserably at the same job, the bullet just disintegrated at high velocity.

What people don’t realize is that the initial speed counts for nothing, the BC is so poor that it loses speed incredibly fast. I mean an 110gr V-Max shot at 3145ft/s drops to 2812ft/s at 100y, and 2500ft/s at 200y, that is rather pedestrian, and why they penetrate more than people think. At 300y(274m) you can take body shots with utmost confidence, because the bullet is doing a meagre 2200ft/s, nothing explosive about that.

The most important part in any ammo choice will always be intimate knowledge of the ballistics, which I will admit precious few people know very well. These perceived fast varminting combo’s often work because they behave the opposite of what people think they does, meaning they have a slow impact velocity.

User

Default Re: 110 gr hornedy vmax for hunting [308]

I agree that it can be unethical in the wong hands. But i shoot between 150 and 300 springbuck a season! I do not own a 223/243/22-250 so in the Free State where we live and shoot we like to use a flatter shooting combination. I shoot abt 600 shots a season between practice and hunting and when i go to the range i have a springbuck headvsize gong that i practice at 150, 200, 250, 300 and 350m. So ot all depends how you know your rifle and your load. I would not take this combo for blue wildebeest or eiland, or take it to the bushveld for kudu, but at home for springbuck and blesbuck yes!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2