Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: License card

Default License card

Good day ladys and gents. I phoned the firearm call centre last week and was told the good news that my license has been approved. I want to know how long can I expect to wait for the card. Anyone who rencently got their card? How long did you wait? I will get mine from Lyttelton Police station for what its worth.

User

Default Re: License card

Be prepared for 6 weeks. Less if you are lucky.

I waited now 5-6 weeks for my new application.

My renewal was approved about 2 months back now. Still have not received. Also not at station.

Now that is dissapointing

I monitor approval database all the time. Average time from DFO to approval at present averages on 3 months. From approval to card collection on average about 6 weeks. Sometimes longer. They changed the printers and this is causing significant delays. But if u applying for semi auto carbine or shotgun the approval process is now over 90 working days.

This manual paper based system sucks. My dream is that this will be done electronically one day like SARS efiling.

good luck with Lyttelton!!

User

Two factors at play, one being from print to provincial and the second when the DFO picks it up. WC cards use to be quick and took a week or two - but it seems with the new printing arrangements provincial only gets it within two to three weeks and from there it is DFO dependent. I was also informed that cards can no longer be tracked between request and delivery to provincial.

And of course you cannot pick up a FA with the mere printout of your approval from your DFO, which is BS in my opinion since you also do not take your FA back to the dealer if your license card is misplaced because the mere card is not a license but just proof thereof. Similarly, a FA can be picked up on a s21 printout copy, so why not from a DFO printout?
    One reason, I was informed, is that the dealer needs the code on the back of the card, but surely this code is also on the CFR system? My DFO also informed me that personally he does not have a problem with collecting a FA on a printout but they were instructed not to and so were the dealers. Imagine if there was a law that forced all of us to only use the post-office for parcels - unfortuanately there’s a law iro FAs and we are forced to use the SAPS equivalent of the PO. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsbok1 View Post
    Anyone who rencently got their card? How long did you wait?
    My Gen3 G26 was approved in the last week of June-18 and received a call from my DFO today to collect the card. So roughly 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    Two factors at play, one being from print to provincial and the second when the DFO picks it up. WC cards use to be quick and took a week or two - but it seems with the new printing arrangements provincial only gets it within two to three weeks and from there it is DFO dependent. I was also informed that cards can no longer be tracked between request and delivery to provincial.

And of course you cannot pick up a FA with the mere printout of your approval from your DFO, which is BS in my opinion since you also do not take your FA back to the dealer if your license card is misplaced because the mere card is not a license but just proof thereof. Similarly, a FA can be picked up on a s21 printout copy, so why not from a DFO printout?
    One reason, I was informed, is that the dealer needs the code on the back of the card, but surely this code is also on the CFR system? My DFO also informed me that personally he does not have a problem with collecting a FA on a printout but they were instructed not to and so were the dealers. Imagine if there was a law that forced all of us to only use the post-office for parcels - unfortuanately there’s a law iro FAs and we are forced to use the SAPS equivalent of the PO. :(
    Well a guy had his bolt rifle approved. And last week collected at dealer in WC with a mere printout from DFO screen.
    While we were in the shop.
    I know it worked this way with the 518 temp licenses.
    But interesting it seems it can happen with normal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Well a guy had his bolt rifle approved. And last week collected at dealer in WC with a mere printout from DFO screen.
    While we were in the shop.
    I know it worked this way with the 518 temp licenses.
    But interesting it seems it can happen with normal.
    Which dealer? I know of two that use to do this but not anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast