Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PM sent!

Default Re: My new Vektor H5

Can anyone suggest which optical sight would be best for this rifle? It is used for close range vermin control and also as a defensive firearm on a farm. The standard 4x32 Trijicon is nice for target shooting but not really suitable for close range, quick target acquisition. I thought of a compact 1-4 variable scope but would one of the red dot military-style aiming devices be better? Needs to be rugged. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mfezi View Post
    Can anyone suggest which optical sight would be best for this rifle? It is used for close range vermin control and also as a defensive firearm on a farm. The standard 4x32 Trijicon is nice for target shooting but not really suitable for close range, quick target acquisition. I thought of a compact 1-4 variable scope but would one of the red dot military-style aiming devices be better? Needs to be rugged. Thanks!
    Need more details. What do you call 'close range' and how precise do you need those close range shots to be on vermin? How are your eyes? Can you ID 'threat' targets at 100m or more with no magnification? (spot a weapon, etc.) How rugged is 'rugged'?

The ACOGs can, in fact, do a better job at fast, close shooting than many seem to think, but the 4X models have a very small window of eye relief. The TA11 (3.5X) and TA33 (3X) have more generous eye relief and tend to work better for non-static shooting with both eyes open and, of course, are as rugged as the rest, which means you can almost drive nails with them. I just bought a 3x TA33G-H for one of my ARs after shooting a friend's...love it!

The Aimpoints and latest Eotechs are also rugged but have no magnification. They are very fast at close ranges and can do a very good job out to 300m or so IF you have the eyes for that. (I don't) The battery life is better on the Aimpoints and some prefer the 1 minute dot of the Eotech for a bit more precision. Eotech has gotten better on battery life lately and Aimpoint is offering a 2 MOA dot on some models.

MRS-T is the Eotech guy here and I'm frankly not sure who handles Aimpoints, but Khumba here can tell you. The Trijicon RMR is also an option that fits really well on the LM series rifles but AFIK the smallest dot they have is 7MOA which is not going to do as well for small critters I think .

Good article with some pics here on the ACOGs by USMC03...a VERY experienced user.

http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...considerations
    Last edited by ikor; 17-07-2010 at 15:29.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Hi Ikor

Thanks very much for the useful info. Non-human targets are between 40m and 120m. In the case of human threats, if justified, defensive shooting would be from between 2m and +-30m with both eyes open and in poor light. Two quite different applications I suppose. My eyesight is 20:20. By rugged, I mean something that will withstand bumps and knocks in and out of a bakkie on bad roads. Will try locating somebody with the various sighting systems that you mentioned to see what I find most comfortable. Thanks again!

I did manage to leave out a very decent choice you may also wish to consider...namely the Trijicom 1-4x24 illuminated variables. No batteries and you can dial down to no magnification or up to 4X. They are not the equal of the Aimpoint / Eotech for running and gunning up close but they are a very good scopes and cost, while not cheap, is less than the ACOGs. I know a couple of guys who say they are more than tough enough for normal wear and tear of field rifles.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Hi Ikor

Thanks, I've been thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x scope- it may just be the answer to the rifle's varied applications...

User

I love the H5! Brilliant rifle and definitely going to add one to my arsenal at some point.
    What is the twist on the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    I love the H5! Brilliant rifle and definitely going to add one to my arsenal at some point.
    More than likely a 1 in 12.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    More than likely a 1 in 12.
    Yup, what I was thinking. Favours the lighter 5.56 ammo then. Would prefer it with a 1 in 9, the heavier 62gr and up would be better for distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Hi Brendank, the manual says the barrel twist is 1 in 305mm...what does that equate to, 1 in 12? It is 6-grooved, right hand twist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast