Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 9mm Carbine or 556 AR?

Hi all, looking for your input to help me make a decision.
    I have been looking at the 9 mm carbine or a 556AR.
    Let's forget first of all about the different makes of the fire arms.
    The carbine is on a AR platform, he's nice and small for carrying around, amo is very cheap, plus I am re-loading myself so for playing around it would do what I want from it.
    If I go this route I am planning to put a suppressor on it.
    AR, - it does cost a bit more and ammo is more expensive – I haven't got the reloading equipment for this yet.
    Some part of me just thinks this will be a better buy because of the higher capacity round.
    I am in the fortunate position to buy one this year and another the next year. Sometimes I feel like you can do more with the AR then the carbine, other times I feel the same about a carbine. I have used both and love them both. They will be primary used for shooting on the range and farm and home defence. I live in the city.

Please I'm not looking for scientific breakdown of the pros and cons of each weapon. Just let me know if you would take the carbine or the AR and why. Forget the initial price of the weapon, make and model, as I would buy the best that I can afford as I think any sane person will do – I buy once cry once.

User

Default Re: 9mm Carbine or 556 AR?

AR 556

User

AR 5.56 was my decision as I think one can get more out of the AR 5.56 especially from the three bases you mentioned. Rage, Farm and Home

User

What shooting on the range?

What sport and division do you want to compete in?

User

+1 to getting both. Also don’t forget to add a mini rifle in there.

Discounting your sporting codes and divisions. I’d get a 223 if regular shooting distance exceeds 100m. If under, I’d start with a 9mmP.

User

I was in a similar situation, opted for the 9mm carbine for now, already reloading for 9mm, plus I feel I'd be running the carbine more regular in sport mode (PCC) than the 556 in DMG. As for capacity, the carbine I chose uses Glock mags, so the happy sticks should suffice.

Both

Was in the same position and bought the 223 AR last year. Now I have decided that I also need a 9mm carbine for <100m targets and of course the lower ammo costs.

User

I did the whole comparison thing and eventually went with the .223/5.56 AR. That said, things in the PCC Division (for IDPA at least) do seem to be hotting up and I have noticed that more guys seem to be competing in that division.

However, from a DMG (multi-gun run over slightly further distances) / home defence / farm defence perspective, I really do not think that the PCC has any real advantages over the AR and this was the main reason why I eventually went for the AR over the PCC.

Good luck with your decision.

User

In all honesty, shot our club owner's AR .223 3 years ago on only my 2nd club shoot and fell head over heals in love with it, all of it !!! Yes, getting it where it is currently was not cheap, but I see it as an investment and not as an expense.

Also, saw an opportunity to further my knowledge on load development for a different caliber, which for some odd reason enjoy a lot.

Time does not allow for me to compete in IDPA yet, only compete with it during our local club matches. Maybe one day I will have the time to shoot with the big boys and learn even more.

Lastly, a fairly powerful platform my wife can handle with ease which in my book counts a lot.

Just my silly 2c on my why.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendr View Post
    Lastly, a fairly powerful platform my wife can handle with ease which in my book counts a lot.

Just my silly 2c on my why.
    Thanks. It is an option I am considering. Get another Glock 19 or maybe 17 justified as S16 for sport and then add the wife as a 2nd licence holder. I then add a Carbine conversion and she has a real option which should be easier to shoot than a hand gun - in theory. But I know her real issue is actually shooting someone - mindset.

But that still leaves me with another gun which may just be a Gen 5.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast